Week 2 Run 2 : A joyful elation !!!

Quick recap: Completed C25K at a slow 7kph running speed (with no incline), wanted to see if i can make my 260lb bum go any quicker!

Week 1 was a success, after completing the three runs at better speeds, i did a thirty minute run, this time i was able to go at 7.5kph on a 1% incline.

I have just completed run 2 of week 2, and it was incredible. Cant believe it. Two days ago i found i was able to do the week 2 first run at 10.5kph intervals, I think first time round i did them at 6kph (yes it is possible to technically run at 6kph!). Well today, i thought i would be a bit cheeky.

Each of the intervals is a ninety second run, followed by a two minute walk repeated six times. Well, I did the first sixty seconds of each of the runs at 10.5kph, but for the last thirty seconds i upped my speeds to 12.5kph and 13.5kph depending how i was feeling!

I felt at least once or twice that smoke was coming off my shoes :)

Of course, i could only maintain that speed for those last thirty seconds. But, as I said, i could barely do the same at 6kph only three months ago.

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • PS. You havent seen many things as comical as an 18 1/2 stone man pound away *hard* at a treadmill.

• Great stuff, well done x :)

• Blimey ! 13.5kph is quick !

I decided to try intervals today using the Wk1 program. I was on the treadmill at the gym. Instead of running then walking, I tried running for 60 seconds then jogging for 90 seconds. I did all the runs except one at 11kph, the 7th one I think I did at 10kph as I was worried I wouldn't manage them all. I did the first six jogs at 8.5kph and the last two at just 8kph. Gosh, that was hard work ! By the time I'd finished the five minute cool down, I was quite light headed and had soggy, sweaty hair - yuck ! It's meant to be the way to build speed so I'm going to make sure I do some regular interval running, as well as runs with the club.

• It's also supposed to be good for general fitness also doing intervals...

Dont get the wrong idea about that 13.5kph i was only doing them for very very short bursts.

Next test will be of course in a weeks time, to see if I am able to keep a 10+ speed for the full three minute runs....

• I'm still impressed, I think the fastest I've tried is 11.8 and then I feel as if the treadmill is bouncing around !

• Its all very exciting though. It's exciting learning you can actually run and how the body adapts so readily to a structured programme. It then becomes all exciting again when you start over because you are doing the same thing but at a pace previously you had no chance of even thinking about running.

My muscles are throbbing a bit though. If it aint hurting it aint working :)

• It is exciting. I made myself finish today by reminding myself that it must have felt this difficult on Week 1 the first time round and I didn't give up then !

• LOL We are certainly channelling each other! I did the same thing :)

You may also like...