Week 10: Fartlek approach

So first run since graduating - thought I would "treat" myself doing something different... With a shorter run – and so I went back to Week 1 podcast – with an idea to jog the “walk” bit and try to run faster for each of the 1 minute intervals…

OH MY GOODNESS… I think I may have over estimated my ability to maintain a fast speed initially, so it took me a long time to recover… but I managed to keep the jog/ run thing going… it was probably my hardest run yet! Eek!

Think it is the way forward tho… if I do one of those every couple of runs I think I will increase my speed…!

It was also exactly 3 months to the day since I did W1R1 for the very first time… and so it was really nice for me to see how much I had improved!

Thanks everyone for all the support and encouragement

Anne-Marie a.k.a ClearlyAM

10 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I like the idea of that, think I might give it a go. It will be interesting to follow how you get on with this. :)

• and another one at it!! Just commented on Ali's post lol and Shelley seems to be up to the same antics...

hmmm... watching posts with interest lol

• That's a great idea - have been wondering what to do when I graduate, and fartlek sounds like a good idea! Congrats on graduating, enjoy the rest of 'week 10'!

• Just read AliB's post on this & it's such a good idea for increasing speed. Not so sure I'll be so enthused by the 8th sprint though!

• I'm thinking of doing the same, although approaching it in a slightly different way - I think I'll do 5 mins brisk walk, then very fast run for 60 secs, then walk for 90 secs and see how I get on with that before doing the run/jog thing.

Well done on finishing it!!! :)

• Hi Minuette - ha ha the WHOLE way round I wanted to walk the jog bits and regretted not making that decision - but I kept going and was really glad at the end that I had managed it even tho it was really hard!!

• You sound like me - stubborn!! I know if I'd started jogging it all I'd need to finish it as well! :)

• I had to walk them and needed every second of that 90 seconds to recover...I did go as fast as I could though in the 60 seconds....maybe i need to just up my pace and not go hell for leather. But it was fun in a weird sort of way

• I did a week 4 one yesterday.. walking the intervals and my average speed was the same! I wrote about it here... couchto5k.healthunlocked.co... how are you getting on Minuette?

• I'm on Week 8 and wondering what to do when I've graduated. I still feel as though I'm very slow so think this would be a good idea to try and increase speed.

You may also like...