Week 6 Run 3 - advice on pace: I did it, I ran... - Couch to 5K

Couch to 5K

109,536 members141,435 posts

Week 6 Run 3 - advice on pace

ValeItaUk
ValeItaUkGraduate

I did it, I ran for 25 minutes today and I feel so good about it! And I didn’t feel extremely tired at the end which is a huge improvement for me.

Also, I started tracking my pace using Strava (during the 25 minutes only). Can anybody tell me at what pace I should be running at this stage in the programme? I know that this varies for different people but it would be useful to hear about others’ experiences. Thanks!

14 Replies
oldestnewest
Hidden
Hidden

Awesome job on running for 25 minutes well done. According to my strava logs I've been very consistent since week 1 run 1 ( start week 8 on monday ) and running at 7.2 - 7.4 Km

It seems to be my natural pace but I'm going to try and slow it a bit for week 8

ValeItaUk
ValeItaUkGraduate in reply to Hidden

Thanks for your reply! My pace today was 8.05...yours is much better! I’ll try to work on that next week. ☺️

Whatever pace you're comfortable at. It not only varies person to person, it varies from one run to the next. It REALLY doesn't matter.

I've got the same run this afternoon. My normal "comfortable" pace average is somewhere between 6 & 7 minutes per km depending how I'm feeling.

With the wind that's out there today it's likely to be "over 8 minutes" or even over 9 because keeping going to the finish is what matters and I'm not going to blow a run by fighting against the elements!

I may blow it for other reasons, but not for that one :D

ValeItaUk
ValeItaUkGraduate in reply to Thatwasunexpected

Good luck with the run then!

It is windy here as well and it was actually quite nice, definitely less hot than other days this week.

As for my pace, I’ll keep monitoring it to see whether it gets better!

Thatwasunexpected
ThatwasunexpectedGraduate in reply to ValeItaUk

Keep in mind that, whatever your pace today, it's likely about the same as you managed on week 1 if you'd thought of messuring it then.

But today you kept it up for a (continuous) run that was 25 times as long as those minute intervals that hurt so much just 6 weeks ago.

25 times!!!!

ValeItaUk
ValeItaUkGraduate in reply to Thatwasunexpected

I still cannot believe it that I can actually run non-stop for so long. I’m sure that for intermediate/professional runners 25 minutes is nothing but for me is an incredible achievement. So yes, I’m not too worried about my pace, just a bit curious about how it compares to my fellow C25K runners. 😉

Thatwasunexpected
ThatwasunexpectedGraduate in reply to ValeItaUk

25 minutes may be a "short" run for marathon runners but, in a purely physical sense, if you can do 25 minutes you can do longer.

You might have to drop your pace but you're well past the sort of duration where your body's going to give up on you.

Mentally it's a whole different matter, of course, which is where the consolidation over the next week comes in - it'll (hopefully) start to convince you that today wasn't a fluke (because it wasn't!) and get you really believing that you can do this running thing.

The curious thing is, as you gain that mental confidence, the physical side feels easier too!

Do you find tracking your pace useful and motivating? I’ve been avoiding downloading Strava until I’ve done week 9 run 1 (I’m on week 7) as I want to concentrate for now on how I feel physically and my breathing to decide if I want to speed up, at least until I’ve managed 30 minutes once. I’m worried if I know how slow I’m moving it will be demoralising, or I’ll feel like I have to speed up to stay on pace even though I don’t have the juice.

But I have to admit my curiosity is getting hard to resist! So I’d love to know what you think of using the app so far.

Thatwasunexpected
ThatwasunexpectedGraduate in reply to SpartanRunner

It varies from person to person. Some people like to measure, some like to just "do".

It doesn't hurt to try both in finding out what works best for you.

Personally, I love metrics. Started using HR zones in the gym many years ago when chest straps were the new must-have and found it helped (I'm lousy at judging perceived effort and burn myself out if I try).

After my heart attack, keeping track of heart rate seemed to make sense in case it was doing something unexpected and measuring pace, cadence, and so on was a natural extension of that when I started heading out - first walking & now running.

I CAN run without but by now it just doesn't feel right somehow.

ValeItaUk
ValeItaUkGraduate

I perfectly understand how you feel! I was the same and that’s why I waited until week 6 run 3 to use Strava. Personally I like knowing my distance/pace and I believe it will motivate me to try and improve it.

Hi, I wouldn’t worry at all about your pace. Everyone has a different ‘happy’ or comfortable pace that they can run at.🏃‍♀️🏃‍♂️

The most important thing at the moment is to run at whatever ‘pace’ you need, to make sure you complete the program🙂 There are all sorts of things that can affect your pace, from the weather, to how you feel on the day, to what’s going on in your life to what you had for tea last night and a host of other things!

Take care of yourself, stay safe🌈and enjoy the rest of the program🙂👍

ValeItaUk
ValeItaUkGraduate in reply to David_G

Thanks and great advice! I won’t stress over my pace I promise! 😀

AlMorr
AlMorrGraduate

Congratulations on completing run 3 of week 6, you are now OFFICIALLY a RUNNER, regarding pace, pace yourself at what is comfortable for you, for most new runners it is around 6.5- 8.5Km

ie- 7Km is the equivalent of running a 35 minute 5K

ValeItaUk
ValeItaUkGraduate in reply to AlMorr

Thank you! It was great to hear from Laura (love her!) that I’m officially a runner!

You may also like...