To run or not to run?: On Monday I tried out a... - Couch to 5K

Couch to 5K
87,082 members119,045 posts

To run or not to run?

Slothgoesrunning
SlothgoesrunningGraduate
3 Replies

On Monday I tried out a new route- it was undulating footpath, hill, then flat, then across a grassy field (no track) and back to footpath.

Then On Wednesday it was late before I could run so I went to gym and used the treadmill. It was the worst run I have had in terms of feet, calf’s, thighs, hips all feeling uncomfortable, cramping and sometimes painful.

I didn’t change pace or incline or distance So I don’t know why this happened. If anything I find switching back to treadmill is usually easier. Could it be the effects of Monday’s run?

I want to run again today but everything still a bit stiff and achy - now I’m worried if I don’t rest I will injure myself. But I want to run!

What do I do??

3 Replies
oldestnewest
IannodaTruffe
IannodaTruffeAdministrator

Go for a nice easy, gentle paced run of comfortable duration, forgetting about pace.

As long as you have had your rest days, nothing is better for achey muscles than gentle exercise.

2 likes
Slothgoesrunning
SlothgoesrunningGraduate
in reply to IannodaTruffe

Ok I’m going. Wish me luck!

Slothgoesrunning

I did it! Took the advice of Ian (thank you) and with a good 10 min warm up, slightly loosened laces on shoes, steady pace. At first sign of twinge around 20 min mark I slowed it down and hey presto 30 min run done! I feel very good about this ☺️

1 like

You may also like...