Couch to 5K
76,223 members107,756 posts

W3R2 - Should I be stretching?

Morning all - just completed W3R2 and again I really enjoyed it. When Sarah said there was 60 seconds of my final 3 minute run I couldn't quite believe it, I thought I had only run for about 30 seconds so I managed to speed it up a little bit for the final 60 seconds.

I had a thought whilst running today should I be stretching before and after? I have felt okay on all the runs but I saw a runner doing some stretches this morning and I wondered if this is something I should be doing too?

Have a lovely Tuesday all :-)

14 Replies
oldestnewest

Yes! Post run static stretches after are especially useful... dynamic stretches before the run also. They’re in the guide on the pinned posts I think.

Good job knocking another run down.

1 like

Brilliant I will start doing that then. Thank you :-)

Yes, I use some dynamic warm up stretches that I found on YouTube:

And the warm down stretches IannodaTruffe includes in the info that he adds to your first post, I use them after every run now:

nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/h...

Hope this helps!

1 like

Brilliant thank you I will use that on my next run :-)

No worries Hattie27 good to see you’re enjoying it - and now you’ve got some stretches in your routine long may that continue 😃🏁

1 like

I think I might be a runner ya know!

1 like

Totally gonna smash it.

1 like

Definitely stretch after your runs as already advised ... Making sure you are warmed up before you start ..

1 like

Warmed up more than the 5 minute warm up walk?

The 5 minute warm up should be sufficient initially maybe look at the dynamic stretching if you want to add to this

Great thank you :-)

1 like

Stretching before a run is possibly less important, but should be dynamic stretches. Post run stretches are static and help realign muscles while they are still warm and supple and can help prevent aches and injury.

There are links to both sorts in the guide to the plan healthunlocked.com/couchto5...

1 like

Thank you this is really helpful. I will make sure I start doing these!!

Now the days are getting colder I think pre exercises are essential as you could easily get a strain. Warm downs are post exercises different to pre and I would ssy are aldo essential. Make time to do all of them and you will feel the benefit.

I have a routine of exercises for shoulder, back, and hip probs then I do all the suggested running warmup. Read IannodaTruffe's advice msg for the exercises.

Good luck.

You may also like...