W5R1 Quietly Contented!: Birthday over - I did... - Couch to 5K

Couch to 5K
84,381 members โ€ข 116,098 posts

W5R1 Quietly Contented!

Birthday over - I did have a good go at the beer and wine yesterday no doubt, but can you believe that in a tiny corner of my scrambled mind was a little voice saying "don't go mad - you have to run tomorrow". Which in fact means that I have already gone mad. Imagine that, prioritising running over booze! Ridiculous. To me, that is more surprising than being able to run a bit!

And so, fully rehydrated of course ;-), I was pleased to complete W5R1 today at lunchtime, but no room for bragging. On re-reading my last post, it felt a little bullish and boastful - and most likely misguided as I am sure I will have my reckoning one day soon when the Plan bites back! I'm blaming youthful exuberance and adrenalin as I wrote it before any blood had a chance to return to my head, or air to my lungs upon completion!

I guess I should be proud of how far I have come so far, but on reflection perhaps this is just a measure of how far I had let myself go in the first place, that it all seems so hard! I can remember as a boy I'd run for 15 minutes as a warm-up before my hockey game!

A more measured approach today then, after lapping the running track a few times - I dare not go near hills yet - quietly I'll allow myself a little "yay" as I managed to complete the run with a couple of minutes tagged on the end for good measure.

I also met a stranger at the track just starting on W1R1 and cheered her on. She was amazed when I told her that 5 weeks ago I could only do 60-second stints. It is amazing this plan - and the supportiveness of the community.

Slow & Steady.. #you can do it

10 Replies
oldest โ€ข newest

Well done you. I definately believe this plan is mind over matter. I dreaded week 5 run 3 and it turned out to be okay. We have to believe in the program and ourselves. I have surprised myself (and my hubby) with how much I have achieved in the last 6 weeks and I can actually say I now enjoy running. Keep up the good work. X

2 likes

Fantastic job. I have an issue with "Quietly contented!" tho... If I ever get that far I'll run around the house screaming with joy with my pants on my head. Or similar. Probably not pretty but I'll be dead chuffed.

:-)

3 likes

Thanks for the support. You will get there too but please do not feel obliged to share photos of your celebration! #you can do it

Very, very well done...on all levels.... :)

You are doing well and slow and steady..hackneyed though it may be will get you to the most amazing places:)

1 like

I love you a little bit Old floss! x

1 like

Thank you xx Nice to be loved :)

Shout it from the rooftops man! Boast away if you want to, why not?? ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰

1 like

Belated greetings for your birthday! Sounds like you had a great time :)

Well done on run1 of the fifth week. I am so looking forward to that one. Just got one more run of week 4 then i'll have a good crack at it.

Thanks Dee! It wasnโ€™t as bad as expected, iโ€™m sure youโ€™ll breeze it!

Sounds like we will be both be 50 next year and have started โ€˜runningโ€™ at the same time. Good luck next week....# you can do it

1 like

Yeppers, there are a few of us half-centurians here. Oldwheezer is also 50 next year and is finishing up on week 4 too. Talk about mid life crises all round! ๐Ÿ˜‚

You may also like...