Couch to 5K
60,209 members92,858 posts

w4r2 completed... anyone else do long cooldowns?

Another one down, and definitely felt a lot easier than w4r1, again with the treadmill set on 5 degree incline.

Felt a bit stiff this morning (after a round of golf yesterday afternoon) and so did an extra 5 minute stroll/walk before starting up the app, to warm up. Similarly I did an extra 20-minute walk at the end.

In fact, I always walk for a bit longer afterwards, as a cooldown, and was wondering whether anyone else does this (mainly applies to treadmill users I guess). At the start, I found it a bit of a jolt (mentally and physically) to go from the final brisk walk (for me that's about 3.2 mph) to suddenly stop completely. So instead, everytime I finish a C25K session, I leave the treadmill running and gradually reduce the pace over 5-10 minutes until I sort of naturally come to a stop. Figured that was going to be better for my muscles/bones/whatever.

Anyone else do that?

5 Replies
oldestnewest

I always did ( and still do) long cool downs and warm ups Not on the treadmill though. I finish Km’s from home regularly so I get my cool down done 🙂

1 like

Well done once again, and snap 👍

I found w4r1 runs a bit tough so automatically added bit more walking this morning too, I did 5 minute walk to gym then additional 5 minute walk before starting. then done the 5 minute cool down on treadmill then a 20 minute walk around park then home to do the stretches. I had bit of pain in right hip again but it passed after starches

1 like

I try to keep to at least the minimum walks (body feels it if I don't, and I don't need to stretch if I do them) but quite random just how long... depends on the promptness of Google's bowel, and then, like misswobble where I happen to finish running.

I don't tend to do particularly brisk walking as it disagrees with me.

1 like

On the treadmill I quite often keep walking until I’ve hit 5k, working on the idea that if I complete 5k walking/running/walking it’ll help me build up to 5k running...one day!

1 like

Now that's an idea! May try that one day soon....

You may also like...