Couch to 5K
60,349 members93,014 posts

First Park Run!

A rare Saturday off for me today so decided to do a Park Run . It’s about 20 miles away unfortunately so we had to drive! Husband and son dropped me off at Figgate Park in Portobello (Edinburgh) and headed to a nice warm cafe while I shivered in the cold wind and drizzle waiting to start! I was quite nervous but got chatting to a couple of other people on their own! Very friendly atmosphere!

Anyway I really enjoyed it and came in 5th in my age group! 50 to 54 with a PB so I was very pleased and quite surprised as I didn’t think I was going fast at all! Thoroughly enjoyed my hot chocolate afterwards and I treated myself to a couple of new running tops for the spring!!! 😀🏃‍♀️

10 Replies
oldestnewest

Congratulations 👏

1 like

Thank you! 😀

Well done! It was a really cold one where I was in Kent, with the wind chill 0.05degc, still soon warmed up when underway and forgot the cold..😊

1 like

Thank you! At least it stayed dry! I came prepared with towel and complete clothes change as heavy rain forecast and we weren’t going straight home! 😀

Fantastic and congratulations on your first Parkrun. Next time drag the two lazy lumps who were on the Cafe out with you. They should have been ashamed of themselves.😀

1 like

Ha ha! Thank you! Very little chance of that but you never know!! They did show their faces and gave me a wee clap just before my final lap!! 😀

Well done you!!! 👏🏻 I like a good park run too...and mines just across the road from me so I have no excuse really...I feel really guilty when I don’t do it!! You’ll have the park run big soon!!!

1 like

Thank you!! There is talk of one coming to my town which would be brilliant although I wouldn’t be able to do it much with working Saturdays!

We are off to Dundee for a weekend next month and husband suggested leaving early on Saturday morning so I could do a Park run!!! Not entirely sure I want to do that!! 😀

1 like

I do always question whether it is worthwhile driving 30/40/50 miles return journey in order to run 3. Travel.petrol/diesel footprint and all that. We had a competition here for people to do a Parkrun or 5K in every county in Ireland in a year. A friend of mine completed it, but the mileage that they had to do was incredible.

1 like

It was a case really of taking advantage of a Saturday off work and I was keen to try a Park run just to see how I’d do! And we were going to Edinburgh anyway for son’s birthday! Don’t think I’d travel far just to do one! I was chatting to a lady yesterday who makes a point of finding a Park run every time she goes anywhere different! 😀

You may also like...