Couch to 5K
53,138 members85,220 posts

Help

I'm one run from graduating but on my last run (this has happened once before on week 8) I got a sharp pain in my calf. It's like a cramp or knot of tension. This time I managed to walk to the end as it was in the last minute of the run and by tomorrow it will be easing off but I won't be able to run for a few days. Any advice please? More calf stretching? New trainers? They are about 3year old gym trainers, not specific running ones. I find running so therapeutic I really don't want to have to stop now.

Looking forward to your advice.😊

10 Replies
oldestnewest

Hey Teresahl, not sure about what’s going on with your muscle but I would definitely throw out your trainers and invest in some specific running shoes.

Recommendation for trainer life is 400km of running distance.

Most areas have a running shop that offer a gait analysis for runners and will then make recommendations as to what type of trainer will suit you best.

Believe it or not not all shoes are equal and getting the right type is ensuring you make the most of your investment.

I used the sweat shop for my analysis and it was free but other shops are available !

Get a gait analysis and new shoes to suit your running style asap.

Take a look at this pinned post particularly

-which shoes

-gait analysis

healthunlocked.com/couchto5...

Do not take chances if you have pain, see a physio for a proper diagnosis .

Stretch and roll..please get some advice on this if the pain does not go.....having spent quite a while, with a small!! calf tear, on the IC.. I am over cautious:)

Thanks guys, I've found a local shop that does gait analysis so when I can run again I'll pop along and see if they can help.

🏃

1 like

Maybe try a pair of calf compression sleeves? I’ve just ordered a pair after having them highly recommended.

Hi everyone. Hurray, I've just completed my graduation run! I'm so pleased and didn't have any problems with my calf. Onwards and upwards!

2 likes

Fantastic achievement 👏👏really well done 👍

Hurrah...well done Teresahl😊

Glad to hear your calf pain settled..did you get new running shoes?

Congratulations on graduating 🎉🎉🎉🎉👏👏👏👏

Ask for your Graduate badge here..

healthunlocked.com/couchto5...

Happy running 😊xx

Hi Jan, thank you. I used my "better" trainers but now I've graduated I think it's time to go the whole hog and get some proper runners. Might have to save up a bit first though! 😊🏃

1 like

You deserve a treat..

Happy running Graduate😊x

You may also like...