Couch to 5K
71,348 members103,396 posts

Virtual Remembrance 5k

Look what turned up today!

On the 11th November I did a virtual run. I hadn't done a 5k for a while, and as this was for Remembrance Day I decided to see if I could improve on my PB. I cheated slightly, in that I chose an ever-so-slightly downhill route, with no traffic to get in my way, and found a fast-paced playlist to spur me on.

The first km went okay, and the second one was a whole second quicker. Then I started to get tired. I pushed on though, but my third km was quite a bit slower. Was I going to make my PB? Could I do two more at this pace?

It sounds really trite, but what helped was thinking of all the people in the wars who probably thought they couldn't carry on either. I know running is in no way comparable to what they went through but it made me grit my teeth and dig in. I was still a bit slower, and I'd resigned myself to not getting a PB, but I thought all I could do was my very best.

I've discovered that if I am running hard, I lose all capability for rational thought. I had no clue what time I was aiming to beat. I knew when I set out, but 4km in, I'd lost it completely and all I knew was I had to keep running as fast as I could at that point - not that fast, but far better than my normal gentle potter :D I am very pleased that I remembered to hit the stop button at 5km because this is something I've forgotten to do at several races :D

I looked at the time and thought it looked fairly good, but was delighted when I got home to realise that I had beaten my previous 5k time by 1 minute and 39 seconds.

I have no clue how I am ever going to beat my new 5k PB of 32:10, but hey - a problem for another day.

Lest we forget.

40 Replies
oldestnewest

Very beautiful and special bling! Great job on the PB!

Thank you! Yes, it's bling I will treasure.

1 like

Oh well done Murph! Lovely thing to do. Beautiful medal as well 🙂

Wear your poppy with pride 🙂👍

You’ll beat that PB soon, no doubt about it. I’m going to try too as mine has slipped out of sight

1 like

I keep forgetting it's you, Wobble! Suits you, though :)

Ta for the congrats, though I'm not aiming to beat the PB any time soon :O Good luck with going for yours though!

Nice bling, innit? A small but great thing to do.

1 like

Is there a bit of the Tissington trail that is completely flat for 2 and a half K.. then we could run there and back! :)

Completely flat... erm... possibly...

No. That's why I take the bus up and run down! :D I'm not daft, you know!

Although to be fair, some bits are flatter than others. I'll have a look at the profile and see if I can identify any flat(ter) bits :D

1 like

Please do... another joint run maybe ?:)

Lovely! I'm away this weekend but I will get onto it as soon as I'm back :)

1 like

Brill!

We had such a nice run - I will try and find us somewhere just as good!

1 like

I shall really look forward to it :) x

1 like

Oh MissW! It looks like you did your biggie!! I had to do a second take there as I didn't recognise you with your new look 😊

A massive well done to you, you're amazing 👏👏👏

1 like

A new PB , great stuff Annie !

That is such a lovely medal , Well done to you :-) xxx

Thanks, Pops! It's a grand bit of bling, isn't it? And a new PB always goes down well :) xxx

2 likes

Very speedy and for a good cause too :)

Well, speedy is all relative, but for me it was! Thank you for your kind words :)

Lovely medal Annie - and congratulations on your new PB!

Thank you, Decker - I'm pleased with both the bling and the PB!

As you should be! It really is a nicely designed medal.

1 like

Yes, some medals are just nicer than others, and whoever came up with this one did a great job :)

1 like

Well done Annie. That's a lovely bit of bling.

Thanks, AR!

1 like

Well done on your new PB for 5k Anniemurph😊...

Lovely medal for a great cause and you worked hard to get it.😊xx

Thank you Jan! It is a great medal and I'm pleased that I did work hard :) - thank you for your kind words :) xx

1 like

Yeay.. go you! Lovely medal! Mine and Mr Of's came yesterday! Also very lovely!

We could find a totally downhill route to run down for 5K... I could do with one certainly!!!! I get slower ! :)

Well done!

Ooh, picture? Was it the same one?

I don't like running too much downhill because I tend to hold back in case I fall over :D

Thank you :)

Brilliantly done and I don’t think your comments are trite at all. Thinking of others’ sacrifices to help you find your own strength is a wondrous thing and respectful to them. It’s a medal to wear and display with pride. Well done you on getting such a great pb.

Thank you, Jan. It really kept me going as I ran, and whenever I felt tired I did find the strength to push on just that bit more by keeping in mind the day and the reason for my run.

1 like

Lovely post. Your medal is well deserved and for such a good cause.

Well done on your PB too. What a great surprise for when you got home! 😀

Thanks, Sandy. You're right, it was a lovely surprise when I got home! :D

1 like

Well done, that's very special bling.

Thanks, Martin!

1 like

Congrats Annie, very nice medal 🥇 and good job on that PB! I can relate to the thing about being unable to think rationally when I run. It sounds funny but I become really “empty-headed” when I run and I mean that in a good way! ☺️

Thank you! Glad it's not just me who stops thinking - I tell myself I enter a meditative state :D :D :D

Sounds much better than empty headed!

1 like

Beautiful bling and time, well done! :) I did my own poppy run and bunged some money in a collection tin but I wish I'd signed up for one of these. I think it's important to think about these things and what better time than when running.... I thought about how different the world would be, a very sobering thought!

Looking at your medal though, I have a feeling I'm going to become addicted to bling as well as running!

1 like

Join the club........🤗

1 like

Thank you!

Yes, doing the run for a specific 'event', however virtual, made me concentrate a bit more, I think. I treasure my running time because it equals thinking time but more often it is just about my task lists or a problem I'm dealing with, so focusing on Remembrance Day was quite special.

When I started running I was never going to enter any races. Gracious me, no. Now it's all about the bling, and there have been two events where I've 'only' received a technical t-shirt instead. Not good enough!

:D :D :D

1 like

Oooh what beautiful bling Annie! What site did it come from?

Well done on your PB, that's fab 🏃🏃🏃

Thanks, IP! This one was from race4reward.com/ - nice, isn't it? :)

And yes, I'm pleased with my PB as well :)

1 like

You may also like...