W5R1: Nailed it :D

W5R1: Nailed it :D

Hello again lovely runnerbeans,

I have just completed the first week 5 run, and it felt really really good, I'm so happy. It felt perfectly natural to be running for that length of time, and I felt that the 3 minute breaks were more than enough for me.

There was something of a mental barrier to get through, as I've felt that Week 5 is quite a milestone and is the start of the serious work, but with the encouragement of everyone (mentioning no names Sadie-runs !) I felt in control. I set off, didn't exhaust myself in the first minute, paced myself, and it was fine! I think my pace naturally went up too as even though I was running for a minute less than last time, I got further before the half-way bell sounded.

Anyone in the early weeks who is thinking how the heck can I make it to week 3,4,5,9 or whatever week it is, you totally can because the programme actually works.

It didn't rain either, though I did feel like I was playing hopscotch for a while (see photo).

Roll on Runs 2 and 3 :)

P.S. I actually nearly did die, from the shock of making it to week 5 :P

Last edited by
Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

20 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • Runnerbeans. πŸ˜‚

I knew you'd do it. Not only that, I knew you'd love it! Slow and steady, well done buddy! I am so very pleased with you. πŸ˜€

Your route looks nice, too (if not a bit muddy!) Keep digging deep and that mental challenge will be a cinch. It's all about the mindset - and your mind is set.

Now, bask in the glow of your runningness! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜˜

• Lol. Runningness. Is that even a word??? I guess it is now :-) Thanks for the encouragement as always. You're a star! When are you on to week 6?

• Yup, it is now. πŸ˜€

Well, supposedly tomorrow - but this cold I had coming on is a doozy (I feel ROTTEN today) plus my dad is visiting tomorrow. So, I think I might make W6R1 on Sunday. In the rain.

I am not opposed to a 2-day rest now and then, makes no diff to me. My legs will be itching to go though. πŸƒβ€β™€οΈ

• Hey Sadie, get well soon, running whilst ill and not doing as well as you liked because you felt crap would seriously suck :-( I have to do 2-day gaps because of work, it's ok, really. Get well soon x

• Thanks Neil. x

• Nice one!

Great to see your route as well. Lots to look at to keep your mind occupied.

Looking forward to hearing about runs 2 and 3!

• It's actually lovely along the canal, and the towpath does get better. That was a rather muddy bit :-)

• Brilliantly done, I missed your earlier I am on the way post, but by the time I got to it you'd already been out....

Congrats on getting through another one - you're doing fantastically well.

• Thanks Jan, we'll see at the end of this week, I guess :-)

• No seeing - it will be done and you will do it. I have faith in your legs... that sounds slightly suspect but you know what I mean....

• *tries not to laugh* *fails* :P Thanks Jan :)

• It was always in you to do this run!! Well done and here's to playing hopscotch with puddles although I now run through them and not over them!! 😊😊

• Thanks Kim, I guess it was :-) have to say, I'm getting used to the puddles now. Hopscotch does rather disrupt one's stride though!

• Well done Neil😊...

You did it and you loved it... role on R2.😊x

( that's why we don't call this week a m******** week, there is nothing to fear, and no need to put up mental barriers)

• Thanks Jan, I never would have thought I would actually *enjoy* running, but today just felt fantastic!

• Don’t play hopscotch!! Just go through them!!

• Funny you should say that... I was sorely tempted, but didn't really want soggy feet for the next 25 minutes!! Maybe next time :P

• Yeah but they dry!! Maybe just Splosh in the homeward straight then 😜

• For sure!!! I intend to treat myself to new trainers this weekend, maybe I can give the old ones a good send off :P

• Think you def should!! You should see the state of my legs when I’ve been through a few muddy puddles!! All washes off in the 🚿 🀣

You may also like...