Couch to 5K

W1R1 done!

I've been thinking about getting healthier for a while now, but always come up with an excuse as to why I can't start right now.

This morning I realised that if I don't just start, I never will. So dug out an old t-shirt and some trainers, and just did it. It was hard, and the thought of running for 30 minutes in a little over 2 months is pretty terrifying. But I'm so happy I finished! I just need to keep it up now.

8 Replies
oldestnewest

Really well done. It is daunting looking at the schedule ahead. Just take one run at a time, the plan really does work. It's hard work, no doubt, but loads of fun too. Good luck and keep us updated.

3 likes

Well done you. That's the hardest bit. Don't worry about 2 months time, that will come and you will surprise yourself. Just stick to the program and it will just happen. And we're all here to cheer you along. Happy running!! 😃

2 likes

I would really encourage you to read the posts that graduates put here when they were starting off also :)

This is a programme for those of us who took the first step before we even knew it - realising we were NOT "runners" but wanting to be runners despite our own disbelief we ever could be. :)

I am continuously overcome with a sense of almost awe on my runs. It somehow is hard to believe that I can run more than a hundred yards or so - yet it I do :)

If anyone had told me when I started that nowadays a two or three mile run is FAR more attainable by me than those day one runs were, well I would think they were swivel eyed fanatics :)

But that is the truth. I went from turning blue in the face - blue, literally and having to stop a passer by from calling an Ambulance - to where I regularly and happily knock off 5ks around that same Park now :)

Take it slow and steady and at your own pace. Forget about "5k in 9 weeks" because hardly anyone does it. It's a snappy name for the programme that's all :)

But it's no gimmick - if you use the programme for structure without forcing yourself to fit it rather than adapting it to you - I assure you that sooner than you think you will have the "Graduate" badgebeside your name here :)

And do run with us here! Oodles of support motivation and advice and a lot of laughs to. We may run on our own, but 'round this way we never run alone :)

Wishing you many happy miles in your future :)

5 likes

Well done for doing the hardest run- the first one!

Keep posting here as it does help.

Don't look ahead just one run at a time.

Make sure you take your rest days.

Take the advice of Oldfloss - slow & steady

Make sure you do stretches and keep hydrated.

Then before you know it.........

Good luck with the next run :)

2 likes

Well done! Go slow and steady and you'll do great. Just take it one run at a time and listen to your body. You can do this! Good luck.

3 likes

Hi and welcome... very well done you!

Slow and steady, follow the programme, take your rest days and listen to your body.... ( and us) :)

Not sure if you are a he or she... ? If, a she, then a great running bra is both useful and essential...:) Also, decent running shoes too, if he or she:) They are our biggest asset ! ( Next to you.... :)

2 likes

Thanks, Oldfloss! I was definitely slow and steady today!

I'm a she :) and you must have read my mind! even though I had a sports bra on, I think I needed to have a bit more strapping for the ladies!! :)

3 likes

Oh yes.... bouncing boobs are not a look and very ouchie afterwards!!!

1 like

You may also like...