Couch to 5K
65,247 members98,603 posts

Is Treadmill running a real run?

So my first run is completed although I'm not sure if I can call it a first run or not. I didn't finish work until 8 and hubby said there was no way I was going out running on my own in the dark. So I drove to the gym and did it on the treadmill. Walking speed of 5. 5 mph and the run at 6.8 with an incline of 1 ( I read that somewhere?) It was hard and I huff and puffed, sweated and had wobberly legs at the end of it but I'm home now and feel fantastic for giving it a good go....can I count this as a run or does it have to be on the street?

10 Replies
oldestnewest

A run is a run. Well done for going to the gym after work.

I did my first 3 weeks on the treadmill. Then decided to hit the pavements as I got fed up looking at the garage wall, let alone all the junk that was in there.

2 likes

A run is a run and well done for doing it 👍

2 likes

It's a run, well done for starting.

1 like

It is a run..very well done 😊

1 like

A run on a treadmill is a run and counts, and smells of gym.

A run outside is a run and counts, and smells of outside.

Well done for starting. Please post here regularly so that we can provide motivation and encouragement.

5 likes

Sorry, that may read as a bit flippant. Safety should be your absolute priority, so don't run outside if you don't feel safe. Treadmill in the gym is preferable to not running. You've started... excellent!

3 likes

Lots of people do all their running indoors on a treadmill. That includes a lot of athletes. Just because you are not saying "hello clouds, hello sky", it doesn't mean your legs and lungs are not working every bit as hard.

4 likes

You could have taken him out with you 😊

2 likes

Lol he looks after the baby while I go x

There are some different challenges to running on a treadmill. It's not 'easier' if that's what you were wondering.

I've been on a treadmill once and if I never have a reason to use one again I'll be a happy woman and I am always rather sorry if someone never runs outside (or offroad for that matter) because it adds a whole 'nother layer of benefit given that we are more than legs and lungs (a lot to be said for "Hello clouds, hello sky" - try doing *that* and staying miserable!). But they have their place for a number of situations and in your case, you ran when you otherwise would not have. Instead of making excuses you looked for a solution. Bravo!

2 likes

You may also like...