Couch to 5K

Gremlins in my head

Next Sunday my town park hosts it's inaugural ParkRun and I was hoping to do it ..Not all jogging but some walking too...Still following C25K and people on here have encouraged me as has my running sister who is a parkrun regular in Carlisle and is thinking of coming through. I love the route as I am very familiar with it as it covers a large part of the route I walk regularly enough.

So today we went out to do the two laps and finish bit to familiarise ourselves with it and I have convinced myself (or maybe it's Stan's mutterings) that I can't do it... Well clearly I can walk it so surely I can part jog part walk..... I was tired though but I think maybe I'm not a 100% recovered as I am still coughing...

So I think I will get up early next Saturday and try and be ready to do it and try and ignore the Gremlin.... I think psychologically what is putting me off is the fact I'll be out in public in a big way lol. I have told Father Pip not to let me hold him back and not to wait for me... I think he will put me off by being fitter than me... Anyway,we shall see what next Saturday brings... I have 3 more runs to do before then...

9 Replies
oldestnewest

I know how you feel Pip ! The first time I did Parkrun I hardly slept the night before , I was so nervous !

I know it's easy for me to say now, but please try and put your doubts and fears to one side . Yes, you will get the racing snakes that go off like the clappers , but the majority are there to just treat it as a jog/ walk/run outing . It's great , have fun ! :-) xxx

3 likes

Thank you. I will try and psych myself up to do it as I do want to support it, being the first one, to help show it's viable.

I plan to start near the back and take it slowly and walk and jog intermittently as I will only just be in week 4 of C25K. I know there'll be a tailrunner to help me along assuming I'm last lol, which I am. I will be happy to do it within the hour at this stage... That shall be my aim... if I don't then I will just have to try again lol!

2 likes

Oh my goodness, an inaugural parkrun ! You MUST do it ! Even if you walk the whole way round (which I know you won't do) you have to say you were there at the beginning. Definitely go for it !

1 like

Exactly henpen90 .I just want to support it and contribute to the viability of it being held here. I love the park anyway and am quite familiar with the route. 😁

I say, go for it! It will be a special day and run/walk is absolutely fine. Good luck🙂

1 like

As long as you are healthy, it is a no brainer! Go for it.

You will surprise yourself.

1 like

Thanks guys x

Go for it! I'm sure you'll enjoy it!! (says the one who hasn't actually done a Parkrun yet, mainly due to not being free on Saturday mornings!, but has friends who run theirs regularly!)

1 like

Definitely go for it, even if you walk it all. Not many get the opportunity.

You may also like...