Must keep running!!

A wee running update. A New PB at park run this morning. Unofficial time ( my stop watch) was 28.47 which I think is 37 seconds better than my last PB.

Yesterday I signed up for the Edinburgh half marathon which is on the 28th May 2017. Needed a new challenge as my motivation for winter running had been almost non existent. I can't afford to stop now. Need to build up the miles. Just the incentive I need.

Need to try and find a couple of 10km races at the start of the year and a 10 mile race would be good in April to build up. Need to get researching.

9 Replies

oldest โ€ข newest
  • Well done , that's brilliant !

Good for you for signing up for a Half Marathon ! I'm doing the Manchester Half on that date too :-)

For my first HM , I followed a My Asics plan, it was really good , well worth a look at . I will be using it again for the one next May .

Really Well done and I am looking forward to following your progress in training . Have you joined the Marathon and Race Support forum ? Its run by our very own ju-ju- Lots of good ideas on there .

Good Luck ! :-) xxx

• I have signed up for the marathon and Race support forum but not posted yet although I am sure I will when I need advice if I start to struggle with the increased distance.

I will also take a look at my asics plans.

Hoping it keeps me motivated to get out through the winter. I find it tough to get out on midweek nights and I am definitely not a morning person. I have been toying with taking my kit to work and trying lunch time running as we have showers.

• Yes I agree, I have the same dilemma . I could get up early, but its trying to sneak out of the door without waking my pugs up , as once theyre up, that's it , they are running to the kitchen to get their leads !

I slot in one during the week after work , and one at the weekend . I don't particularly like running in the dark, but once I'm out there I'm okay. I do find though that having a plan does keep you focused and motivated .

Good Luck ! :-) xxx

• ๐Ÿ˜Ž

• That's brilliant time and half marathon plan. Just a thought but is it feasible for you to run home from work ? Don't know if you have to carry stuff or too far or would hate dodging traffic and crossing roads.

Or the very idea could just be unthinkable !!

I'm OK semi-retired but was planning to see some old work mates to scrounge a free lunch off them. I can run mostly on Canal that takes me about 6K to edge of city Centre and can have decent wash down at workplace.

Good luck

• I live too far from work to run home. I have 3 options I guess.

Experiment with lunch time running at work.

Go down to the gym and run on a treadmill .

Man up, and get wrapped up and get out in the cold winter evenings.

My guess is it will be a combination of all three. Thanks for the encouragement.

• Well done you... and do come and join our marathon community for lots of support and fun too ๐Ÿ˜Ž

• Great new PB, but my advice, learned the hard way, is to not beat your previous by such a large margin, since you are reducing the number of PB celebrations that you can enjoy. Far better to knock a second off each time!

Keep running, keep smiling.

• Great advice but I don't have that much control of my pacing yet. Yesterday was just push at an uncomfortable pace for the full run to see what I could achieve. It was not enjoyable at the time but I felt amazing once I was over the line. ( well perhaps 5 minutes after I was over the line.)