Definitely back in the game. Hurray!

I took last week off because of shin problems. A beautiful long 10k knackered my right leg, but has left me with such lovely memories that I don't really care (not now things seem better anyway!). I ran carefully on Friday evening after an 8 day rest and as is always the case every little twinge and ache was registered and worried me. Afterwards I felt a bit sore, but probably no more than to be expected. I decided not to run at the weekend, but do my usual walks and not rest excessively. My leg held up on the 8.5 k walk round a local lake and slowly I began to believe that I was OK. Last night while falling asleep I planned this morning's run. I was actually excited when the alarm went off - isn't that a great feeling? When you really look forward to a run!

It was my fastest yet, although I ran out of puff at about 23 minutes and walked the last 7 minutes. That was fine though - it was an experiment to see if the pain came back when running faster. And it didn't. My shin felt a bit "raw" afterwards, as it had on Friday, but that might be imagination. I did all my usual walking around today with no adverse effects. So I think I'm back in the game. It's a very good feeling! Now what shall I do on Wednesday morning? Stamina? Or Stepping Stones? Or just a "normal" 5k? 

10 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Yeay... back into the running..it is a great feeling and so horrid when you cannot do it!

Well done...but take it a tad steady maybe... so, 'just' the 5K :)

Wonderful that you are back :)

• Thank you Oldfloss.  I am very glad to be back - but will have to be sensible. Nothing much has changed, so it could happen again at any time - if I overdo it! 

• ..and you won't do that.... like me.. very steady! If I get a knee twinge..instant ease back :)

• The trouble is I don't feel any twinges when running. It's afterwards, and it can be up to 24h - and then it's too late. But hey, you've got to learn these things!

• You have indeed.. and I get the twinges, 'cos I am old snail :)

• Welcome back! Well done. I like that you don't beat yourself up about running out of breath at some point. Just enjoying what you were actually able to do. 

• well done, glad you are on the mend, I think you should go for a steady 5k , make sure the injury is getting time to fully recover, best of luck!

• I did the steady 5k on Friday (well a steady 30 mins, topped up to 5k after a quick walk to see if everything was OK). Yesterday was deliberately faster to see what happened then. But there will be no mad experiments in the near future - that's for sure!

• Hi Jaysee, I would do a gentle 5K tomorrow just to ease back in slowly. You know to listen to your body and that's why you have bounced back so quickly.

• No, I just think I'm damned lucky! (But it's not over yet!) 

You may also like...