First 5k! No Laura, no headphones

I took the plunge. Thanks for everyone's encouragement. After my last post I was left thinking what's actually stopping me from trying to run 5k? I think it was Steve_L who said to work towards a distance instead of a time, and that really helped. I say I had no headphones but I had the volume up on my phone so I could hear endomondo announce each kilometre lap time. I kept egging myself on to the next laptime, waiting to hear 2k, 3k, 4k. 5k took the longest to come. I kept telling myself after this boat, after that bridge etc. I was just egging myself on towards a hedge when the 5k announcement came. I couldn't work out how to stop straight away, I was so surprised, I guess it could be said I could have run for longer at that point. But it was nearly 10min longer, 1k further than I've ever run before. I ran 5.11k, and it took me 43.05min. Thanks again for all advice and cheering on. Hope everyone else is running well too ๐Ÿ˜Š

Last edited by

21 Replies

oldest โ€ข newest
  • Great! Are you doing loops or how are you getting back home?

• I incorporate a sort of expandable loop into my route. I run up the canal, round the loop then back down the canal. I normally end up back where I started give or take 5min walk. I judge the size of the loop according to how much further I plan to run compared to last time. Usually the loop takes me round the Olympic park, along the greenway then back onto the canal. Today the loop part took me across to the bottom corner of victoria park, along carpenters road to the Olympic stadium, across to the swimming pool building, back to stadium, up greenway, then back onto the canal. This is my new 5k route now ๐Ÿ˜Š I realise I'm lucky to have so much green space to choose from... How are you managing with finding a route? I tried just going round in circles in a park closer to home and felt a bit silly, but everyone's different...

• What a result!! Did you surprise yourself? It's a great feeling when you reach a new goal, well done and happy running. ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Definitely surprised myself. It feels so different while you're actually running. Kept remembering to stay slow, tried to find my pace, that speed will come with time, took in the view, enjoyed the feeling of running...

• Congratulations Ruth, thanks for sharing that with us!

• Thanks OG. happy to share, as always. Hope all's well with you too ๐Ÿ˜Š

• That's great! Well done Ruth! X

• Thanks GLugwig!

• Well done Ruth

• Brilliant well done ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Well done to you. Keep up the great pace.

• Fantastic, Ruth - that's made my day! Well done, and I hope you feel a huge sense of pride and achievement. I think this is a milestone day - you know you can run 5k, and you also know that 30 minutes isn't a barrier - you can run and run!

• Thanks! Excellent way to start the week. Feeling very empowered, like willpower can make me achieve anything! I'll def be doing a parkrun soon I think. Hope your running is going well too ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Did my second 10k this morning to prove the first one wasn't a fluke :)

I signed up for a 10k race on Fathers' Day!

Do, do do try a Parkrun!

• I just saw your post! You're getting competitive, you must be mega proud ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Not sure about proud - that'll come when the time gets better, but a huge sense of satisfaction!

• Well done :) . It's great doing your first 5k isn't it. I go out now and think I will just run 30 mins and then when I get to about 28 mins I start to look at how far I have left to do 5k. It usually takes me around 38 mins so I have started to run 5k instead of 30 mins.

• Yes it feels different running to a distance rather than worrying how far I get in a fixed time. I'm looking around me a bit more now, and worrying less about how tired I'm feeling. I'm sure I can easily improve on today's 43min time, but if I can keep doing 5k runs that will be incredible in itself...

• Well done Ruth. The 5k is great but 43 minutes non-stop running is quite something when you consider where you were but a few short weeks ago.

• Thanks Dunder. It's definitely pretty mindboggling. The power of a bit of peer encouragement, eh?!! Hope you're getting on well too ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Hi Ruth you are an inspiration. I have thought about trying to run without music and like you said start to enjoy the surroundings more so tonight that is what I shall try and achieve, hopefully enjoy my run more too :-)

You may also like...