Slow but pleased

I've had a longer route in mind for a while but put it off because of cold/holiday/Christmas combination but today I went for it. Poured with rain the whole time! I deliberately didn't look to see how far it was beforehand or set a timer I just went out the front door & set to it. Well it took me 1hr 25mins but I managed 8.33km in that time. Had to stop once for shoe lace issue & had a 2 minute walk in the middle but I did it & I'm chuffed! !

8 Replies

• Sounds Awesome! well done, I had the same issue today with my pace but loved the longer run regardless :)

• I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that my pace isn't going to get much faster but I've found that once I get going I'm pretty consistent & I can keep going. I don't know if that's better or worse than being quicker but it's working for me at the moment ☺

• Don't get hung up on speed and times at the moment. You will get stronger as you get more kms under your belt and you will get faster. I am a slow runner but it doesn't bother me :D I don't feel slow, I feel great :D

• Sharon that is soooo amazing!!!!! I am totally thrilled for you. I bet you haven't stopped smiling yet!

• well done Sharon :D a very good run this morning :D :D

• Gosh that's brilliant Sharon. Have you graduated? I don't see your badge and if you haven't graduated yet, then that's an even more amazing distance!

• Thanks for the responses ☺ I'm still feeling good about it. I hope I can pick up my pace a bit over the coming months but for now I'm basking in the glow of the achievement. Never in a million years did I think I would be able to do this when I staggered round the park in week 1 of C25K. I hadn't run anywhere since I left school 30 years ago. To anyone who is thinking about starting the C25K I say GO FOR IT! I'm going to be 49 in a couple of months & I'm not a skinny bird either but running has made me feel so much better. My wobbly bits don't wobble quite so much & I don’t feel as if I'm going to cough up a lung when I've finished a run either!

• Well done on your long run. I wouldn't get too hung up on speed, I'm never going to be fast but I can manage to keep going. Like you I hadn't run since school (I hated it then) so I had to change my mindset and consider that I can actually run. I'm happy with increasing my distance rather than worrying about my speed or lack of it. Enjoy the sense of achievement on running such a good distance.

You may also like...