Swapped C25K W9 for C25K+ Stepping Stones

Since finishing C25K I've been repeating W9 and just adding 3 minutes to my run each week. This week I'm running for 39 minutes. I've also changed from running 3 times per week to running every other day.

This morning I decided to listen to C25K+ stepping stones instead of W9 during my run. What surprised me is that 160 steps per minute is actually what I seem to naturally run at, and I found forcing myself to slow to 150 and 155 a bit tricky, I kept drifting back up. When the last part of the session at 160 started I felt more comfortable. The fact that Laura was there was a pleasant surprise, I hadnt realised that she was on these podcasts too. I did find her running technique pointers helpful. I think I tend to run pretty much as she says at the start of my run, but tend to slouch a bit towards the end, and I found being nudged to run proerly by Laura quite helpful. I think when I start to slouch that it starts to bring on a bit of back ache, so it is good to avoid that.

Although I naturally run at a fairly constant 160bpm, my speed varies with hills and stuff by varying stride length.

So it was interesting to try stepping stones, but it has made me think that what I actually need is some 160bpm music, maybe I'll check out what else audiofuel has to offer.

Happy running all :)

11 Replies

• I really like all of those 3 podcasts, and feel they've made quite a difference to my running. My natural cadence is something like 140, so I find even the first part a challenge! I think I have speeded up a bit, both cadence and speed, knocked maybe20 - 30 seconds off my slow KM pace, so that's a good start. I feel a lot lighter on my feet, and feel I can run for longer too. I just wish there was something like these podcasts that were a bit longer - 45 mins to an hour.

• Oh yes, I definately agree with that. I see there are some longer ones on the Audiofuel site. I might give some of those a go. At the moment I'm running through the 5 minutes cool down walk, plus the walm up walk of the next podcast :)

• That's a good idea! Thanks for that. We have to pay for the Audiofuel ones don't we? I thought they were quite expensive, but might be worth it considering how many times I've listened to all the others..let me know if you can recommennd any from AF

• There are 3 freebies on the AudioFuel site, but they aren't that easy to find. I could only get two of them to download too.

One is called 'Sennheiser - Through the Gears' and I thought I was going to die when I did that as my cadence is nowhere near that fast!

The other is called 'Thank You London - A Tribute to Team GB' (which is a bit naff).

The 3rd one would not download at all.

I run to the 'Stamina' podcast most runs and love it, so think the AudioFuel method works for me and will be buying some of heir tunes when I finally agree on what my cadence is/should be.

• If you run at 160, then try the Stamina podcast as it starts off with 10 minutes at 158, then does around 20 minutes (I think?!) of 160 with a final 5 minute flurry at 165.

It is now my 'go-to' podcast for a regular run.

• Thanks Maysie1 that is goos to know :) in that case I will do my next run with that :)

• I was told about a website called podrunner by someone on facebook and that it all music with set bpm which you can download for free so long as you can put up with a bit of an introduction. I've started using music from here this week and found it helped keep me at a steady pace today.

• The PodRunner music is just a different style of music to the AudioFuel music.

I found the PodRunner tunes a bit 'full-on' for my taste, but other than that it is a free version of AudioFuel as you say.

• By the way, I like your avatar Maysie1 :)

• The advantage with it being free is I plan to use it while fine tuning my ideal running bpm and then i will be willing to pay for music once I've worked out what speed i need. I don't want to pay for a track and then only use it once or twice (it's the Scottish half of me coming out!)

• Jog.fm is the place to go. Just enter your required bpm and music taste and they'll come up with lots of songs/music.

You may also like...