Back on the Couchto5k wagon - running mum

I started the Couchto5K two years ago as part of a weight loss programme and really enjoyed it (as well as losing more than 2 stone). I also ran my first 5k fun-run in 30 minutes. I then fell pregnant shortly after with my daughter (now 15 months) and had to stop running. Although I kept physical training right into my 8th month, I found I didn't lose much weight after I had the baby and breastfed, so I am back at my pre weight-loss weight :(.

I'd like to have another baby in a year or so but now want to get my weight back down as I did think I had a better pregnancy because of it. I have never lost as much weight before as when I ran so I'm turning to Laura and the Couchto5k again. I started again on week 5 and did the first session, but found yesterday when I was coming up to the 8 minute mark in the second run that I still felt quite comfortable and went straight up to 20 minutes. I couldn't believe it!

Would be great to hear from anyone who has used the programme post-pregnancy and running mums generally!

Last edited by
Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

2 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • Wow! Well done for getting back to the programme - running around after a toddler is equivalent to a 10k run each day so your fitness levels must be great! Good luck with it - it's a big commitment whilst raising little one (or two) too!

• I think this may show how much of running is about believing you can do it. You already know you have it in you! Enjoy your return to running.

There's been a pregnant woman win the world orienteering championship!

You may also like...