Week 8....legs to run along with nose?

After a bit of advice from all you lovely people. I was due to start wk8 on Monday but saturday I got a sore throat followed by a cold :(. I was going to attempt session 1 tomorrow. I still have a cold but feeling much better. Should I just go and try it and see how I feel? I am worried if I leave it for a week I will a) lose my motivation or b) lose where I am in fitness.

What have you done when a cold has interrupted your C25K?

4 Replies

• Not a personal experience, but someone I know doing the C25k took breaks when she fell ill and managed to pick up where she left off. I haven't fallen ill since starting the podcast (touch wood) but I think general advice is to take a break and recuperate.

• Received wisdom is that if your cold is above the neck it's okay to run but if it's below the neck you should rest up. Running will not make a cold worse - but a cold will make your running worse! You won't lose fitness if you want to rest up for a couple of days, but a cold can take it out of you. You've got all the time in the world to complete the programme, so don't fret.

• I agree with Ullyrunner. My daughter is a sports therapist working with elite athletes (not me I hasten to add!!!) and above the neck carry on, below the neck rest up seems to be the the formula applied. I followed this advise back along and felt much, much better having run! I had wrestled with what to do and like you was worried about missing in case it made it hard to restart.

Hope you are feeling much better - and hang on in there kid!!

• If it was me I would go out anyway, but see how I went and not beat myself up if I had to walk part of the session. At least you'll be getting some exercise and fresh air.

You may also like...