Starting again

I started C25K about this time last year and quickly fell by the way side. After a wedding and moving house I restarted on Saturday. I am also doing slimming world and have lost a stone to date. I am feeling good because following a wonderfully sunny run on Saturday morning I was faced with a very grey evening last night, but found myslef pulling on my long johns (I ski so I have long johns - its not my normal attire) and base layer and went outside.

It was initially cold but I carried on, after 1.5 miles I was shocked at how hot I was, so next time I don't think I'll layer quite so much.

My thighs ache and my fallen arch is a bit niggly but on the whole the recovery from both runs was ok. I have to confess my head is in a much different place this time and I can see me completing this, I am trusting it more, not doing more than I should.

9 Replies

• Well done on getting back out there. It is cold out there at the minute so make sure you do a brisk warm up walk of at least five minutes before you start running, and then a five minute cool down walk at the end

If your fallen arch is a worry you will need new running shoes perhaps

• Thanks. I have just invested in some running shoes and they are much better, so it is just a niggle and it eased quicker last night than it did on Saturday, I made sure I did extra stretches.

Thanks for the advice about warming and cooling. The cooling isn't a problem as I haven't planned my route well and end up with a relatively longer walk than 5 min at the end (nearer 8). My warm up walk needs to be brisker....I keep starting my first run on an uphill bit! lol

• Good luck second time round. I'm in the same boat bit have got to week 6 this time. I think we just have to switch off our doubts and listen to Laura! :-)

• I think thats exactly it! trust the programme!

• Laura's warm up walking pace is actually quite a lot faster than my normal walking pace! If it is very cold, then I do actually walk for longer than 5 mins first. I also try to avoid stopping at a set of lights right at the start of the route!

• I'm on my second time around and have got a bit further, so far, than last time. Enjoy the programme. Best wishes.

• Thanks, and to you

• Ok, I am goign to do run3 tonight. I wanted to do it last night but it was hailing when I got home then we put the tea on. Tonight I am going out then I can start week 2 on Saturday morning, I am finding I want to run (I don't know who has taken over my head).

So my plan is to do week 2 runs on saturday, Monday and Wednesday then have a break for a week whilst away skiing, then come back on Saturday 12th, with a run on the 13th (week 3 Run 1) and move on from there!

• WEEK 1 - DONE!

I didn't go out last night, it was nasty and cold (I know) but I was working from home today so knew I would have a chance to pick it up. I went at lunch time and completed week 1. I'm going to see how I feel but probably do week 2 run 1 tomorrow evening. I am impressed I have managed to do this!

You may also like...