Running Shoes- Advice needed

Hi everyone, since starting C25K I have used my old faithful Reebok trainers, which I have had for years. Last week, I decided as I was close to graduating (just done week 9 run 2 tonight) I would treat myself to a pair of decent running shoes.

I went to my local running shop, stood on a thermo heat type thing which apparently said which style of shoes would suit me and ended up with a pair of Asics Gel GT-1000 at £89.95.

I did the park run last saturday in them, and have done 2 runs this week (Tues and Thurs - week 9 run 1 and 2)

After each run, the balls of my feet feel tingly, a bit like pins and needles. My heels are fine, and otherwise the shoes are fine. What I wanted to know if anyone has any opinions on what is happening, as I didn't get this with my old trainers and should I hang on in there and do you think it will get better with time.

I know a lot of people have said in some posts that running shops will take shoes back if they aren't suitable, but I didn't even think to ask if the shop did this when I got them.

Any advise gratefully accepted. :)

6 Replies

• Did the shop watch you run at all?

I know you can tell a lot from what your soles do on the floor - running books suggest you stand with wet, bare feet on a tiled floor and look at the imprint left behind to see whether you over-probate, for e.g., but most running shops will do an actual gait analysis, watching you run.

When I was fitted, I had to run up and down the street (in front of a whole bus queue!), wearing various shoes to see which best suited my gait.

If it's a decent shop, they should listen to your concerns and either reassure you or offer advice.

• Before you go back with your shoes try loosening off the laces a little bit over the high part of your foot, pins and needles is often caused by laces being a bit tight as most people's feet swell when running.

• There's a YouTube video (don't know the url, sorry) on different methods of tying shoes, never knew there were so many. By an Addidas guru if memory serves.

• They didn't watch me running, I tried on various shoes, but just walked in them, perhaps its my mistake for not running in them, the shop certainly has a good reputation locally, so perhaps I should ring them. Thanks Honorsmum

• thanks oldgirl, the first run in them, that is what I thought, maybe I had the laces too tight, so on the 2 following runs I have made a concious decision to make them looser, but I will try making them looser at the high part of my foot and see if that helps.

• Thanks Crox, I will try and find it on you tube x

You may also like...