Half Marathon Training

I am considering running a half marathon at the end of October. I haven't run for two weeks and it will be a further two weeks until I can run again. This is because I am currently fasting during the Islamic month of Ramadan. So I need to know if 11 weeks is enough to train for a HM. I have already run 10km twice within an hour and I would want to run a HM in about two hours. So what are everyone's thoughts???

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I think it's doable, if you start from 10K and add 10% per week, then you'll soon be at 21K, also you don't have to get to 21K in training, 18K should enough to add 3K on the day.

Good luck, I think you'll enjoy the longer distance, but try to keep increases at 10% otherwise your at greater risk of injury.

• Thanks for the advice Phil. If I add 10% per week I should be able to get to HM distance 2 weeks before the event. I can then taper down just before the HM.

I have looked at a few HM training plans online and most of them suggest running 4 times a week. I wonder if 3 runs will be sufficient because I would like to go to the gym twice a week to do core and upper body workouts. I will be able to fit in 3 runs and 2 gym sessions a week, but 4 runs might be difficult.

• I only did 3 times (or even twice on some weeks) and I got round without having to walk. If I remember rightly your times for the shorter distances are quite fast so yo may be able to get round in 2 hours. My advice is set realistic target (tere are apps out there that help predict HM times based on 5/10k times)... Remember it's always going to be a PB!!!! Good luck

• Thanks AliB1. That's a good way of looking at it.

• With your determination and will power I would say you could do it. I'd suggest focusing on distance as apposed to the time though. As Phil says stick with the golden rule of adding 10% to avoid injury but you may need to drop your speed to give you the strength and stamina for the long haul. Remember you can always aim to run other 1/2M's faster once you have done your first one. Good luck with it Aftabs, nice to see you back on here, you'll soon be out and about again too. :)

• Thanks for the advice! I have pencilled in my local ParkRun on 10/08 as my first run after Ramadan. I will make my decision in a few days time and will let everyone know.

• I guess its about overall fitness too.. A month is a little while but you have built up considerably....As its you bionic man I think you can do it, and with Phil 72's advice and everyone else's you definately can....good luck with it!!!!

• Thanks!

You may also like...