Week 7 started this morning. Found it hard - but I managed it !

Procrastinated a lot this morning but hubby nagged me into getting off! Did my usual route and kept going very well - until the last 'one minute'. What do you mean Laura - 'Up the pace and finish on a high? Are you MAD? Didn't manage to do that but did finish it all and my walk up the hill home was a slow crawl, and I mean very very slow! I have had a power nap since my shower and now feel bleary eyed but chuffed to bits that I did it!

Happy running everyone! Keep cool!

Last edited by

10 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I have been struggling with wk7 since the hot weather started and have found it tough, but someone told me to use wk6 run3 as the music was much better. I have done this now and have managed (although struggled) the music is much better so I will use this for the whole of wk7 runs.

• I suppose we must expect it to be tough now! The heat isn't helping us at the moment. I am slowly getting a sense of achievement doing all this. And I am certainly feeling a lot more alert in myself. Good idea to use Week 6/3 music. Can't say it was the music that made it hard today, more my age, the weather, and life! Today I should be doing loads of stuff but I've already used all my energy up! I'm now absolutely sure this 'Use energy makes more energy' is an urban myth!

• Hi Beek, well you've started W7 - not long to go now ! I'm just about to start W4 tomorrow ,feels good to have reached this stage and hope I can continue. Will go out early as its 34C at the moment here and similar forecast for tomorrow .The heat is really energy-sapping , so well done you ! Nothing beats that chuffed feeling of getting another run under your belt,does it?

Good luck for the rest of W7.

• Thank you Carolcal. I struggle in the heat - that's why I no longer live in Oz!

Happy running to you too!

• Well done for getting so far!

The heat is really hard for running. I went out at 8 am this morning and it was already so hot that I had to walk a few meters two times because I felt a bit dizzy. I think to go "slow and steady" is even more important now than it is usually. I pured some water over my (long) hair before my run on Friday and I think it helped a bit to keep cooler for longer.

Laura is definitely mad. Faster? To end up on a high? I'm happy enough to end up on both legs ;) No, I can keep my very steady pace but only managed a few times to speed up. Is it in Week 7 when she tells you in the end to slow down to a walk? I can't remember if she says it at the end of every run or only at the end of the Week 9 podcast. Well, I always think: "Slow down? From what? Do you want me to go backwards?" ;)

Good luck for the rest of Week 7 and try not to push yourself too much. Slow and steady is the mantra that counts in these days.

• Hi nomoresloth (love the name!) I have been feeling dizzy lately too and drifting off the path a lot so did a few yards of walking in amongst the running. I don't recall being told to slow down to a walk at the end. Must pay attention next time. I end up radiating heat - does wet hair cool you down? I feel as if I'm going to explode some days. Didn't do run 2 this morning. The thunder storm put me off. It's still awfully humid but will DEFINITELY go tomorrow morning. Promise!

• I have great admiration that you have kept going in this weather. It's cooler in Aberdeen so running first thing in the morning is fine.

• I am slowly wilting! Should have gone out this morning but huge thunder storm put me off. Got a big day of bee manipulating ahead so excuse is I need all my energy for that! I am easily excusing myself which is not a good thing. It's been a long hard trail of late with other stuff to deal with and big adjustments to make with my life.

I tend to go out as and when I can but think I should set days and stick to them. I need to be more disciplined don't I?

I am not getting the good vibes from it that I had hoped. It's more of a 'You know it's good for you - like medicine' feeling at the moment. Maybe the pleasure is yet to come?

• Hello Beek - I was wondering how you were getting along - and by the sounds of it your managing to still make good progress.

It's certainly a killer isn't it that "Finish on a high" - I think the first time I heard it I told Laura exactly where she can stick her "High".

But then

There was one run - W8R2 I think - and I really did belt out the last minute, pounding legs and pumping the arms, proper sprinting (which I was secretly impressed with) - it gives you such a rush, such a buzz and you only have to do it for a minute.

Now I try to enjoy a buzz every time I run too.

• I shall look forward to doing a buzz one day. You say it gives you a rush. Problem is I need the rush to be able to do the buzz in the first place!

It's all a bit of a plod and I know I'm floundering a bit at the moment. My Mum died recently and I am overwhelmed with stuff to sort out. I'll get on top of it all eventually and then be able to focus on the running - soon, I hope.

Your blogs are brilliant - and so uplifting. Thank you!

You may also like...