Uncontrolled bleeding events with Ibrutinib and in general

Hi all,

On another forum I saw a comment by a patient who wisely advised wearing a bracelet bearing important information that could help medical personnel help a patient with an uncontrolled bleeding event but suggested asking for a Vitamin K shot in the event of a bleed. Bleeding is a concern with patients on Ibrutinib but also many other patients on W&W or taking other therapies if they are also on blood thinning drugs. This is my take on the bleeding issue.

A medical bracelet is a great idea however it should not be assumed that a Vitamin K shot will reverse or stop all bleeding events. Vitamin K will only work if a person is on a vitamin K antagonist blood thinner like Warfarin (Coumadin). The newer blood thinning agents such as Pradaxa (Dabigatran) or Factor Xa blood thinners Xaralto (Rivaroxaban), Eliquis (Apixaban) & Savaysa (Edoxaban) may or may not have their own agents to reverse blood thinning. Pradaxa has a special FDA approved drug Praxbind (Idarucizumab) but the FDA refused to approve the reversal drug AndexXA designed for the 3 Factor Xa drugs.

Platelets are not the only concern regarding potential bleeding events as there are many clotting factors to consider as well. A proper medical work up can predict with considerable accuracy the potential for a patient on Ibrutinib to be wary for bleeding events and some common supplements to avoid such as fish oil or aspirin that might exacerbate or precipitate a bleed. haematologica.org/content/1...

Bottomline, if on a blood thinner, is to beware which drug, if any, has what agent that is approved for reversing uncontrolled bleeding events.

1 Reply

oldestnewest
  • Please think very carefully about treatment combining ibrutinib and Factor Xa blood thinners, the combo was awful in my case... there is very little data or knowledge in this area...

~chris

You may also like...