Bridge to 10K
8,604 members β€’ 10,217 posts

Creeping ever up ....... 14k!

Today was the day for another step-up after my surprise 12k last week. Being vaguely superstitious, I didn’t fancy 13k much, so slowed right down and went for the Big 14. πŸ’ͺ

Another beautiful morning down by the river. Birdsong, sunshine, dog walkers and a few runners too. Oh, and a fallen tree right across the path just after I started - I thought my run was over, but luckily there was a well trodden diversion up the bank. I wasn’t wearing trail shoes so I took it carefully, and was soon back on the proper path, dog stopping to sniff, then she’d dart to catch me up. It felt awesome. πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸ˜€β€οΈπŸ•

As I’d deliberately slowed down to make sure I got the distance, I was barely even breathing hard. My legs felt fresh and I felt like I could go on forever. Then at 12k (ie uncharted territory for me), they got quite tired but they soldiered on, fuelled by some Jelly Babies!

And so 14k in the bag! I’m on target for my 10 miler on my runniversary in June. Then ..... it all gets a bit scary! πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

Have a great week guys. ❀️

88 Replies
oldest β€’ newest

well done for what sounds like a great run cheeky 😊 14km! That's some distance you're making up now! One day I'll be able to run that far, until then I'll stick to my measly 10k plan 🀣

2 likes

Yes, thanks Mike. Slow me and down and I seem to have no trouble with distance. Once I’ve cracked 10 miles I’ll need to start working on my pace again. πŸ˜€πŸƒβ€β™€οΈ

1 like

Sounds like a plan πŸ˜„πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸ‘

Well I guess slow me down to a walk and I've got no trouble with distance either! πŸ‘πŸ˜Š

I've got a 20 minute run later (I know, only 20 minutes) which I want to use to improve my pace, but I've got speed training on Weds so had better take it easy πŸ€”

1 like

I personally find a speedy 20 minute run 100% harder than a slow 2 hour one, so well done you! Have fun. πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Woo hoo Cheeky...super run there!

Not even fallen trees will halt you, I'm imagining Indiana Jones here! πŸ˜‰

Top running!😎xx

2 likes

Hahaha, I did think it wasn’t meant to be when I first saw it BBR - it was monstrous! If I was a nimble fingered sort, I’d have taken a photo whilst running along, but I know that wouldn’t have ended well! πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

1 like

That sounds like a perfect run Cheeky, it's amazing to run so far isn't it? 😁 And planning for 10 miles is amazing, I'd recommend more than jelly babies now. 😊

I did my last long run last week in preparation for the HM this weekend! 😳

I had planned another two shorter ones but had a bit of pain so rested the legs and took ibuprofen which seems to have helped.

1 like

Wish you the best of luck for your first HM this weekend Crawlhome! I just checked some of your earlier posts as you were making your way through C25K, I wonder if you'd considered being able to do a HM then!

2 likes

Crawlhome has always been a speedy amazing runner Mike. We began C25K st the same time pretty much, and she’s a speedster for sure! πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈ

1 like

We began on the same day and our journeys have been really similar plus lots of mutual encouragement. πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ‘πŸ‘

Do you think you'll book on a half this year?

1 like

The difference being you’ve always been a 🦌 and I’m most definitely a 🐌 CH!

And yes, I like to think I could run a HM - a flat one please - later in the year! πŸ˜€ Can’t wait to hear how yours goes. You’ll be epic I know! πŸ‘Š πŸ’ͺ πŸƒβ€β™€οΈ

Thanks CH, yes it really is! I’m getting to the point where all the segments are being broken down into β€˜parkruns’ which I know I can do! I can’t believe how proud I feel thinking of 5k as a short distance nowadays. This time last year I hadn’t even run for a minute yet! πŸ˜…

And there’s you planning your amazing HM. Unbelievably well done you! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ’ͺπŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸ‘Š

1 like

Wowzers! That’s a terrific run. Your 10 mile must be right there for you now. Well done for being prepared with jelly babies. Think I might add some on to my shopping list so they’re ready in the cupboard for the future! Happy running days.

1 like

Thanks Dowat! The thing is, I love jelly babies, and having them in the cupboard at home is too tempting! I tried leaving them in the boot of the car which kind of works - until I stop to get something out, and retrieve the jelly babies too! πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

1 like

You’ve just got to make sure you nibble at the jelly Babies otherwise it has dire consequences in a dry mouth πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

1 like

Oh!! Think practise will be required in that case!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

2 likes

Definitely πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

1 like

Ummm, because I had mine secreted in my FlipBelt yesterday Dexy, they’d softened (think melted!) nicely, so I pretty much let them slip down! πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

You'll smash it for sure! 😁

1 like

Thanks Katnap, it felt amazing! πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

1 like

Well done cheeky. I think you are going to reach your target , no problem. I can’t imagine running for 2 hours,

1 like

Thanks Dexy, I’ll go for 15k next week I think. Hopefully once I’ve reached 10 miles I can start upping my pace a bit! πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈ

Great south run? October?

1 like

Yesssss. As long as you do. No pressure now! πŸ˜…

Crikey Cheeky!, that is soo impressive.

I am in complete awe.

Well done πŸ€—πŸ€©

1 like

Aww thanks Jell! Definitely endurance running for me, not speed! πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈ

ohh fab. you are getting closer

sounds a lovely run

1 like

Yes I am pretty close aren’t I Deals? Thanks! I want to save the 10 miler for June 11th, which is the anniversary of me starting C25K. Quite a landmark! πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

1 like

that will be fab for your runniversay!! a HUGE landmark, if you think back to starting the program. Im just consolidating the10ks for a bit then will start to increase.

well done :-)

1 like

Thanks so much! I think I might have a little 😒 if/when I do it, just like I did when I graduated C25K! All these landmarks! πŸ˜…

You’ll have no problem upping your distance too. You’re ace! πŸ‘ŠπŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸ‘

1 like

This is great to read as one just signed up for Chippenham half and I'm about to creep up myself (from 8k) so it's good to hear you! Well done it sounds great!

1 like

Fantastic Rach, you’ll have no problem if you pace yourself. I’d like to be able to do a HM later this year (what AM I saying? πŸ˜±πŸ˜±πŸ˜…πŸ˜…), and I know keeping it steady works every time for me. πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈ

Good luck with your training. πŸ‘ŠπŸ’ͺπŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸ‘πŸ‘

Sounds absolutely wonderful, well done. So close to that 10 mile badge now πŸ˜€ I skipped 13k for the same reason, then accidentally did one by doing a 10k with a 1.5k wu and 1.5k cd πŸ˜‚

1 like

Hahaha that’s so funny Linda!

Thanks, it felt amazing trotting along today. πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈ

1 like

Perfect πŸ™‚

1 like

Excellent run for you yesterday cheeky, good time as well, I am sure you enjoyed it and looking forward to longer distances and your 10 miler runiversary run in June, that is a little less than 17 kilometres.

The runiversary date for my graduation run is the 18th June, to celebrate I may go for a gait analysis and buy proper running shoes on what the gait analysis recommends. This week I am running to the Stepping stones podcasts with Laura.

1 like

Thanks Al, I’m really looking forward to it! πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈ

I highly recommend a gait analysis as your runniversary present to yourself. My shoes are so comfy, I even bought a 2nd pair in case they get discontinued!

Happy running!

πŸ‘ πŸƒ

1 like

Can we change your name to duracell, cheeky? Cos you just keep on going! :D

1 like

Good idea GOG, the Duracell Chipmunk! πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

It's got a ring to it. Adds gravitas I think. Maybe you can get a sponsorship deal? 😁

1 like

And a logo! 🐿

Hang on, I typed in chipmunk, but I’m sure that was a squirrel! Where are the chipmunks? πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ

Close enough cheeky, especially if I don't put my glasses on 😁

1 like

πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

Brilliant run! You're headed for your HM at this rate πŸ‘πŸ˜‰

1 like

Arggghhhh, GoGo, that sounds like an awfully long way, but yes I am tempted! (Crikey!) πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

1 like

Well 5k seemed an awful long way at the start... and look where that got us! πŸ‘πŸ˜‰πŸ€£

1 like

Yep, very true! Come to think of it - remember the first 5 minuter?! 😱

2 likes

You’re well on your way to get that 10 miler in time for your Runniversary, easy peasy! You’re doing so great, rocking these longer distances. It is amazing what we can do, when we slow it down.

2 likes

100% agree Sask! I’d rather get the distance under my belt and only then work on picking up the pace a little bit after some consolidation. πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸ˜€πŸƒβ€β™€οΈ

1 like

Woooh hoo Cheeky!! That is phenomenal!! What a fantastic achievement. πŸ™ŒπŸ½πŸ™ŒπŸ½πŸ™ŒπŸ½! Absolutely brilliant! πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½! So pleased for you! 🀩❀️

1 like

Thanks Fab! It was lots of fun and now my legs have that lovely fatigued feeling. πŸ˜€πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸ‘

2 likes

And what a feeling that is! πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ€—πŸ€— ❀️

1 like

It’s the best isn’t it? 😍😍😍

1 like

Yes!! It certainly is! 🀩❀️

1 like

Well done cheeky! You’ll easily make 10 miles at the rate you are going, it’s only another couple of k. I know exactly what you mean thought, about it getting scary from then on, I’m contemplating further myself. All I can say is, make sure your calves are well stretched ready for what’s ahead and enjoy! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

1 like

Ooo thanks TC! Yes, calf stretches are even more important now. What makes it rather real is the fact I’m starting a to think in miles. They seem so serious compared to friendly little kms! πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

1 like

🀣 It’s true though! Miles sound so much more impressive too!

I did 10 miles without enough of a buildup and my calves felt like they were on fire after I warmed down. It’s a really big temptation to just go for it when you get to 9 miles. You’re definitely doing the right thing πŸ‘

1 like

Well funnily enough I thought I might go for the full distance today but I resisted for 2 reasons - I really do want to save it for June 11th, plus I didn’t know exactly how many kms were in 10 miles (16.1 isn’t it?). Can you imagine if I’d have winged it and ended up doing 9.99 miles or something? πŸ˜©πŸ˜…πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸ˜±

1 like

Ooh that’s a long time to resist! 😁 Good for you! Yeah it is about that, I always try to go a bit over just in case! The number of 4.99k Parkruns I have from my Fitbit is really annoying! You’ll nail it no problem πŸ‘

1 like

I know, it’s so annoying when runs don’t measure enough. This week’s PR was 5.01k, last week it was 4.95k over the exact same course! Better to be safe than sorry with the longer runs! πŸ˜€

1 like

Definitely!!! πŸ‘

1 like

Awesome, I love your enthusiasm. I'm dog sitting next week, can't wait to go running with her. πŸƒβ€β™‚οΈπŸΆ

1 like

It’s so lovely taking my dog along! β€οΈπŸ•πŸƒβ€β™€οΈ She adores parkrun each week, and she loves her runs off the lead when I’m running the longer distances. πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸ˜€

Have fun - they make awesome running buddies!

1 like

You seem to be following my GSR plan CC! πŸƒβ€β™‚οΈπŸƒπŸ½β€β™€οΈ I did 12k last month, 14k last week, planning 16k in June, then not sure whether to keep extending or stick at that. My 14 was paced by Dexy doing 7’30”s for the first 4k, then just over an hour for the rest of it, so around an hour and a half altogether. Only doing 2 long runs a month though, the other one being at β€œrace pace” - so hopefully 11k in an hour or just over this week, 12k in 70 sometime in June.

I just know πŸ™„ you’re going to do the GSR, even if you don’t yet, but you’d better sign up soon πŸ˜€πŸ‘

1 like

Would you ever consider a HM, UTS? I want to, and I’d love to think it could be later this year. It doesn’t seem so daunting now that 10 miles is in my sights. πŸ˜€

And as for the GSR, that would be fantastic so long as it’s not at the beginning of September, as my daughter’a baby is due then! Are you guys doing it? πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒ

HM - I don’t think so. 22 years ago I thought about it after my last GSR, but decided getting from 8 to 10 had been so hard, another 3 would be dumb - and probably lead to another 13 on top of that πŸ™„

Problem is I wouldn’t be happy if I took more than 2 hours, so would probably kill myself in the attempt ......

GSR - Sat 20 Oct, I’m in, Dexy not (yet πŸ˜€). Great if you did want to do it πŸƒπŸ½β€β™€οΈπŸ‘πŸ₯‚

1 like

Well I think I might fancy that - there’s nothing running related in my diary for October! Are you in Dexy5? πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

I’m not in yet cheeky. But I feel the pressure is building. There are many at parkrun who are doing it. I might just do a little increase in distance to see what happens, but I’m going to take it in smaller bites than you.

1 like

Yay c’mon Dexy. You’re a natural. Let’s do this! πŸ‘ŠπŸ‘Š

He means Sunday 20 October cheeky. πŸ€ͺ

1 like

That’s still ok. I really want to do it. Will you? πŸ€žπŸ˜€πŸƒβ€β™€οΈ

Wow cheeky , and πŸ• you are flying.

Well done. Will soon be a half marathon for you. πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈ

1 like

Thanks Tinker. I wouldn’t necessarily say flying, but I’m enjoying the longer runs! πŸ˜€πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸ˜€ So is my πŸ•β€οΈ

Fantastic Cheeky - those kms just keep ticking over! Your 10 miles is there waiting!πŸ˜€

1 like

I’m so excited to do 10 miles Jonathan, but I’m making myself wait until June 11th which is the anniversary of me starting C25K. A huge milestone! πŸ˜€πŸƒβ€β™€οΈ

A huge 10 milestone!πŸ˜‹

1 like

πŸ˜…πŸ‘πŸ˜…

1 like

Wow! Whoopee to you! Amazing! 🍾πŸ₯‚πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸ‘πŸ»πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸ‘πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸŒŸ πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸ’₯πŸƒβ€β™€οΈβš‘οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸŽ‰πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸ˜Š

1 like

Thanks Over! I was happy how it felt. Much easier than the 12k last week somehow. πŸ˜€

Wow, well done! πŸ‘πŸ˜€πŸƒπŸΌβ€β™€οΈπŸ‘

1 like

Thanks Baddie! πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Simply Fab πŸ˜€πŸ‘

1 like

Thanks Runsome, I’ve decided that long runs are my favourite! πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸ˜€

1 like

Brilliant. Awesome. Fabulous. Amazing...... 2 hrs running πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸƒπŸΌβ€β™€οΈπŸƒπŸΌβ€β™€οΈπŸƒπŸΌβ€β™€οΈπŸƒπŸΌβ€β™€οΈπŸƒπŸΌβ€β™€οΈ. Here’s to 10 miles in June and not forgetting the jelly babies of course. So excited for you. So chuffed for you. Be super proud Cheeky. 😊

1 like

Thank you Wimborne! I love a goal to aim for, and this one is getting ever closer. πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸ‘πŸ˜€

1 like

Whoop whoop! Well done to you Munks! Fabby fabby πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸ’ͺπŸ‘πŸ‘

You may also like...