First Long Run of the New Programme - Human ... - Bridge to 10K

Bridge to 10K
8,948 members โ€ข 10,641 posts

First Long Run of the New Programme - Human Water Fountain! ๐Ÿ’ฆ ๐Ÿ’ฆ

Hi Runners

After a 2.76k recovery run yesterday, I had my first 5k long run in the programme today. I assume Nike know what theyโ€™re doing! ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

Well yesterday evening, I felt decidedly fluey and couldnโ€™t work out if I was getting a cold and decided to try a night time cold & flu remedy to help me to sleep. Today I really didnโ€™t feel like running and a return to bed was tempting, but I thought a run might pick me up too. ๐Ÿค”

Well a long run calls for the big parks, so off to Lydiard I go. Forgot my bum bag for phone and keys ๐Ÿ™„!! But Iโ€™ve been there before. Operation Out There Dont Care - keys in secure place and phone in hand! Weโ€™re running! ๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿพโ€โ™€๏ธ

Well, my pace was faster than my run yesterday. That wasnโ€™t supposed to happen. The guidance was to run slower. It seemed intensely humid and I have sweated like a fountain. Iโ€™m still dripping now! (Apologies for the graphic detail. ๐Ÿ˜Š). I have never sweated so much on a run! Iโ€™m soaked, but a little bit stoked that I did it too! ๐Ÿ˜‚ It would definitely have been excusable to stop today, but it never got the point where I was ready to give in.

I should have been running much slower according to the App, so that didnโ€™t help, but I finished the 5k in 37.14 minutes. The app paused at 35 minutes and I was still short of the 5k when I realised, so I decided to run on to get to the 5k. It wasnโ€™t too long before I noticed, so I canโ€™t claim it would have taken much less time. It was simply a tough one and I could not have run on. But I did it! Now Iโ€™m going to take myself home to have a shower ๐Ÿšฟ and go to bed with a good book! Iโ€™m not sure whatโ€™s next, but a rest day for recovery will be had tomorrow regardless!

Wishing everyone enjoyable running!! Have fun! โค๏ธ

45 Replies
oldest โ€ข newest

I also did a 5k today and sweated absolute buckets. Glad it went well.

2 likes

Glad it wasnโ€™t just me then Jay! Well done you!! โค๏ธ

1 like

Well done ๐Ÿ‘ are you on ju ju's b210k now?

1 like

Thank you Kar!! No Iโ€™m just continuing training for the Charity 5k early next month. Iโ€™ll have a Think again after that. ๐Ÿ˜โค๏ธ

1 like

Aww fab get some bling ๐Ÿ˜ and of course enjoy the charity run ๐Ÿ˜. I'm meant to start the plan this week but went for a run earlier and done a 4K which is not even in week 1's plan so I'll try again in the week ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜Š

1 like

4K is pretty damn good in my eyes Kar! Getting out there is always a win! Good on you!! ๐Ÿ˜‰โค๏ธ

Good run, good pace too. Human water fountain ๐Ÿ˜‚ Thankfully I think today is the last hot/humid one for a while.

1 like

Thanks Mike!! ๐Ÿ’ฆ ๐Ÿ’ฆ It was an experience thatโ€™s for sure!! I was so glad to feel the occasional breeze. But itโ€™s done and I now Iโ€™ll have an early night too! โค๏ธ

1 like

This is awesome and what a great time for your 5k! Well done! Iโ€™m glad today is my rest day, itโ€™s too humid for running!

Hope you feel better soon ๐Ÿ˜˜

1 like

Hey Little-runner, thank you! I didnโ€™t realise it was so humid until the run had started. I was glad I didnโ€™t put on the lightweight jacket. I donโ€™t think I could have made it!! ๐Ÿคฃโค๏ธ

1 like

That is soooooooooooooooooooo fantastic!! Well done, and that time is not too shabby either for your first 5k! AND you had a cold!!!!

Sending hugs (and stretches for the legs!) - Super well done! :) :)

1 like

Thanks LL! ๐Ÿ˜ Iโ€™ve run the 5k before at the same Park. I always try to do the 5k run there, as itโ€™s where the Charity Run will be next month. Itโ€™s the first long run since I started this new programme. With only running yesterday, I wasnโ€™t sure how that would work out, but itโ€™s done. Itโ€™s only a small fraction below my current PB, so I canโ€™t complain really.

Thanks for the stretching reminder! I did that after reading your reply!! ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜โค๏ธ

1 like

That is Fab-u-lous. Good pace also.

๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿ’ฅ

1 like

Thanks Tbae!! It wasnโ€™t too bad for me. Quite even all the way. ๐Ÿ˜โค๏ธ

1 like

I was ok last night til I got to 4.5k then the sweat poured!! Ha ha! Glad it went well! ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…

1 like

Thank you Ang! I definitely didnโ€™t realise that it was so warm. The sky was quite dull today. Deceiving!! ๐Ÿค”โค๏ธ

Excellent! Well done.

The humidity is worse than the intense heat in that it doesn't seem that hot at the start but boy do we pay for it.

Hydrate well, you need to replenish. Rest up. Hope you feel better soon. ๐Ÿคž

1 like

Thank you Jojo! Yes Iโ€™ve got my fluids right here and Iโ€™m tucked up in bed early now. ๐Ÿ™ƒโค๏ธ

1 like

Good work! Especially getting out there when not quite in the mood. I do hope you are not coming down with something?

Running in high humidity - ugh! - I hate it. I donโ€™t seem to sweat an awful lot when running, itโ€™s when I stop the fountain effect starts! But how good does the shower after a run feel?! Bliss.

Well done on your 5k. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Sadie-runs xxx

1 like

Thanks Sadie! I donโ€™t normally sweat like that either and Iโ€™ve been out in hotter weather before. I was feeling pretty rough afterwards so Iโ€™ve resided myself to the fact that I do seem to have picked up a bug! Tut! ๐Ÿค’ Nevermind. Hopefully a day in bed with a good book will have me feeling on the mend.

And yes...the shower was absolute bliss!! Now Iโ€™m ready for bed! ๐Ÿ˜‰โค๏ธ

1 like

Rest up; hope you are feeling much better soon. Bed and good book is pretty much a cure-all Iโ€™d say! And lots of fluids. xxx

1 like

Thanks Sadie! ๐Ÿ˜ Iโ€™m not sure exactly when staying in bed became an art I donโ€™t possess, but Iโ€™m in training today so that I can recover properly and hopefully Iโ€™ll be feeling ready for my next run. ๐Ÿ˜‰โค๏ธ

Excellent! I need to take some inspiration from you and push forwards to 5k. Xxx

1 like

Youโ€™re doing brilliantly Dralimc! But why not? I use the 5k as the goal now rather than the 30 minutes. The extra time does go quickly! ๐Ÿ˜โค๏ธ

1 like

Will try with my friend tomorrow x

1 like

Great! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜! Let us know how you get on!! You can do it of course!! ๐Ÿ˜‰โค๏ธ

1 like

Well done on 5k in this nasty humidity! Hope you feel better after having a rest. โค๏ธ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿ˜Š

1 like

Thank you!! Iโ€™m having a lovely lie down now after a nice cooling and relaxing shower!! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜โค๏ธ

1 like

Well done. Hope you feel better in the morning

1 like

Thanks Sybilw! Just woke up for the night capsules and Iโ€™ll be back to bed!! ๐Ÿ› ๐Ÿ˜ด โค๏ธ

๐Ÿ˜ท ๐Ÿ˜Š

1 like

Wow youโ€™re one amazing determined runner, well done. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ™Œ

1 like

Thanks so much Jelon! I thought Iโ€™d be ok and I was in the end, but it was a challenge! However, like you said Iโ€™m determined to keep up my new running ability! โค๏ธ

Like you I started the programme this week. Yesterday was 3k and tomorrow an early morning 5k

1 like

Great stuff TSword!! I was only meant to do 2k yesterday in my programme, but ended up close to 3k. Iโ€™m sure youโ€™ll do it just fine too! Have fun! ๐Ÿ˜โค๏ธ

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well - hope it passes quickly. Well done on getting through the run when you were under the weather, especially in such a good time.

It *was* humid today - the only running I did was half-running half-walking to make it to the station in time to collect my ticket and catch my train, but goodness I was absolutely dripping once I got there. It was one of those old converted bus trains, so I sat there 'glowing' for most of the journey ๐Ÿ˜…

I hope you manage lots of rest and plenty of water tonight - take good care of yourself! ๐ŸŒท๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒธ

1 like

Aah thanks Eiralas!! Those runs might be a bit short on the fun, but hey you may not have run for it before C25K! Youโ€™re getting those runs in too I see! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Glowing isnโ€™t too bad if you have a tissue! Glad you made it for your train! ๐Ÿ˜ Hope youโ€™re recovery is going well too. โค๏ธ

1 like

Hope you're feeling better this morning!

Ha ha, no this is pretty usual for me - always late! Still feeling it after Monday's run though, so extra rest days needed - my leg was not happy with the little bits of half-running I did last night and if I wasn't in danger of missing my train I'd have stuck to the brisk walking. Oh well, I made it and I can rest tonight ๐Ÿ™‚

1 like

Aah I see! You did make it and youโ€™ll make the return to full recovery. Oh the challenges of patience!! ๐Ÿ’†๐Ÿฝโ€โ™€๏ธ But every time you go and decide itโ€™s best not to go, thatโ€™s all one step closer to the goal. Well done for catching that train and enjoy the rest later.

Now my challenge today is to be still and feel extremely lazy, so that I can recover quicker! ๐Ÿ˜• Iโ€™m going to make breakfast now and try to make my way back under the duvet. โค๏ธ

1 like

Sounds like an excellent plan - hope you managed your lazy day of rest and that it helped your body recover a bit.

1 like

Didnโ€™t quite make it all day, but it sure did help Eiralas. Just finished a short recovery run. It was good to be out! ๐Ÿ˜โค๏ธ

1 like

Well done fab ..What a great time ..I have only managed one 5k and that was my graduation day ...Your an inspiration ..Love reading your posts ..๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

1 like

Aah thank you so much Myrar!! ๐Ÿ˜ In a way, itโ€™s the app that has switched me from time to distance and thatโ€™s been quite good. Some runs are only 2k and thereโ€™s a few different types of runs in there too, like โ€œtempoโ€. I think some of those are segmented in distance. E.g 4 x 200 mtrs at a fast pace. Iโ€™ve not done one of those yet, but I think I have one on Sunday. Thatโ€™s if I recover well enough.

So far, I think the variety is making me a better runner. Itโ€™s difficult not to go out there to try it out! Canโ€™t resist! ๐Ÿ˜‚โค๏ธ

Hi Fabulous! Saw your post yesterday and then lost it on my app - really well done! I was at the park too, walking the dog around at lunchtime, and it was a humid day. Very good time, by the way!!! Hope you feel better today :)

1 like

Thanks Equi! We might well have been in the vicinity at the same time. I was there around 1:30pm! ๐Ÿ˜

Today Iโ€™m feeling a bit groggy, but the capsules are doing the trick. Iโ€™m going to try to stay in bed anyway. Thereโ€™s nothing that canโ€™t wait. But Iโ€™m definitely not used to that. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ โ€œThinking recoveryโ€! ๐Ÿ˜‰โค๏ธ

You may also like...