Bridge to 10K
7,709 members9,398 posts

Yippee- PB at Southsea Parkrun

When I left home for parkrun this morning my main target was to run it all the way.  This is something I hadn't achieved during the last two, the first because of strong winds and heart rate alerts on my new watch, and the second because it involved hills.  So today I told myself to start slowly and last out to the end.  397 runners turned up today and the conditions were great, only 16C and a slight breeze.

I told myself I mustn't run faster than 7 mins per km in the first half but every time I looked at my watch in the 1st half it was faster (6:55, 6:57 and 6:59 for the 1st 3 kms).  I think there is a natural pull with other runners at parkrun.  I reminded myself I wanted to run it all and slowed a bit in subsequent kms.  

As I neared the finishing line I saw shadows of 2 people trying to overtake me so I thought I'd give a final spurt, encouraged by the cheering Marshalls and kept my place of 338.  I forgot to stop my watch again until after I'd had my cards zapped again!  I must remember next time.

According to Garmin I did 5k in 35:04, according to Strava it was a parkrun PB of 34:59 and according to parkrun my time was 34:57.  I am sure the timekeepers made a mistake somewhere but I will take it.  After keeping up the run throughout, my 2nd  target was to do sub 35 minutes so I am really pleased that I managed to do that.

Next week I’m going to be a Marshall instead so I need to find a tambourine....

I didn’t take a photo of parkrunners so I took one of the growing cygnets at canoe lake. Some of you may remember them from an earlier post. Sadly they have lost one, but these are looking very healthy.

I hope everyone else enjoyed their parkrun experience today

🏃‍♀️🏃‍♂️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♂️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♂️🏃‍♀️🐕🏃‍♀️🏃‍♂️

26 Replies
oldestnewest

Great run Dexy, you achieved what you set out to do and did it in style. 👍👍👏👏

I’ve told myself in no uncertain terms that I must volunteer as a marshal (or is that marshall?) when I’ve done 10K as a thank you to everyone there who’s got me this far, way beyond my own expectations! 😊😊

3 likes

Thanks David, yes stick to using it as your short run each week until you graduate.

When I see the parkrun photos each week it certainly doesn’t look like I’m doing it with style. 😂

1 like

I must admit I do look from time to time to see if I’m on there 😊 It never looks like I’m doing anything in style either! 😂🤣

1 like

And yes it is marshal but predictive text changes it 😬

Great run!

1 like

Thanks Jay

1 like

Fantastic achievement well done. Goal setting and achieving them are great feelings - Well done

1 like

Thanks bertiesugar, I didn’t quite achieve staying slower than 7:00 a km but it worked out alright in the end.

Well it was as near as damn it. I struggle to get the pace right and often will myself to run at 6:30 but I cant seem to do it consistantly

Brilliant, Eileen! 😃🏃‍♀️❤️

Those hills and the Lakes trip must have helped make you fitter after all!

Hope you enjoy marshaling next week. We had no drums, bells or tambourines this week...think our musicians must be on holiday! 🎶🥁🔔🎶

Like David, I’m hoping to reach 10k before volunteering to marshal. Parkruns fit well as the weekly 5k in Juju’s 10k plan. 😊

2 likes

I think having only one run since the last week’s parkrun helped the recovery mountaindreamer , or maybe it was coming down to sea level after altitude 😂

We don’t have any instruments here and it seemed a bit quieter this week after the enthusiasm of the Lancashire volunteers. So I think I’ll try and liven it up a bit.

I don’t blame you keeping to your plan - you are doing brilliantly.

1 like

Oh, well done, great pace and time, and well done for beating the other two runners at the end. Awesome 😊

1 like

Thanks Flick, I thought I had overdone that last bit but I grabbed my water with electrolytes and slurped a bit of that and was okay.

Thanks for the advice on the rehydration tablets, I finally found some in Cotswold outdoors

1 like

They do make a huge difference!

1 like

Well done you! I am happy to have also joined the park runners today.Thank you for your encouragement.

2 likes

My pleasure 61andtrying , I am really glad you got there. Just off to read it 🏃‍♀️

Well done! Great run and lovely pic! (I definitely went much faster than I should have in mine! ) Definitely get pulled along with the crowd!! 😀🏃‍♀️👏

2 likes

Except if you’re me and get left behind by them ☹️

1 like

Aww Flick I think you’re amazing!! You get out there and run and that’s the main thing!! (I worry for all the people who don’t do any exercise namely my husband and big son sat eating their bacon butties!!! )😆

2 likes

My OH had a fried egg butty after running but all I can face is a toasted tea cake and coffee. Our parkrun starts and finishes at an excellent cafe and the first thing they bring is a bottle of water 💧

1 like

Ha ha!! I couldn’t stomach that after a run! I was so thirsty! I had a cereal bar I’d brought with me in car on way home!! I wish we had a parkrun a bit closer! I’d give up my Saturday job!!!! 😀

1 like

Yes I am lucky that I can walk to ours

Great time. Well done. I helped out this week and enjoyed being on the other side!

1 like

Well Done Sybilw. I’ll be volunteering next week too. I think they struggle to get people during the summer holidays.

Well done! I completely missed your post earlier. And well done for getting round and keeping a sensible pace too. Awesome! 👍😃👍😃

1 like

Thanks Brian

You may also like...