Bridge to 10K
8,060 members9,782 posts

Holiday diary - Run 5

It has been a mixed bag of weather down in Somerset this week so I was delighted to see the sunshine when I opened the curtains this morning. ☀️ I set off with the dog not really sure which route to take but then decided to take the steep lane out of the village, walking!! As soon as the lane levelled out a bit we started running and went off into the woods, along an uneven trail, to the next hamlet. Squiggs has discovered a new exciting creature - squirrels! The wiggling tail is simply irresistible and meant a lot of pulling, sometimes in the wrong direction 😉 After reaching the next hamlet we ran down the lane and then bridleways with tall hedges. I decided to explore a track that I had never been down before and once again a lovely surprise.....a beautiful old water mill (see photo). After crossing the main road we jogged along in the warm sunshine through two more hamlets and eventually back to Mum's village. 7.6k in just under an hour, a very enjoyable run 😊

17 Replies
oldestnewest

Someone's got the running tourism bug! Sounds like a perfect run, new places, hamlets, squirrels and perfect weather. We can always drive my sister's springer mad just by saying "look, squirrels!" at which point she runs to the nearest tree, puts her paws up it and looks hopefully into the branches. My sister's 2 border collies hunt them as a team, and her now deceased terrier used to actually catch them now and then. Dog paradise!

5 likes

Ha, ha - that made me smile imagining Team Collie. The JR must have been speedy!

1 like

..what a find! Well done on another lovely run!☺

2 likes

😀

I love the sound of all those different types of paths, it was worth braving the hilly path out of the village :)

2 likes

Ah lovely! Great joy to be had from a run in lovely surroundings with your pal. Ah! Sigh 🙂

Hearty breakfast ! Job's a good un 😋

2 likes

In fact I never feel like eating after a run so no breakfast (sometimes like a banana though). Nice lunch out later with family 🍴

1 like

You have to be intrepid Ruth! She who dares ... 😃

2 likes

I am not sure I could be described as 'intrepid', more curious 😊

Lovely holiday running. Always nice to run in a different place :) Are you on a tour for your holidays?

2 likes

No, visiting family but in different locations! Just thought it would be a good opportunity to do some exploring.

2 likes

Beautiful..on all levels... lovely photograph...a great run too.... enjoy the rest of your hols!

1 like

Thanks oldfloss, having a relaxing time and just heard from hubby tonight - he is safe after a very hard climb to 5000m in -25c windchill!

1 like

Phew!!! x

1 like

Looks lovely Sue, glad the weather was kind to you.😊x

1 like

Lovely Somerset. Enjoy the runs.

1 like

Yes, the family live in Exmoor so loads of wonderful trails with varied terrain from footpaths, lanes, bridleways, forest tracks, riverside trails, open moorland, beach.....😊 Do you know Somerset well?

You may also like...