Xanax? Dosage?

Just curious for those of you who take xanax what is your dosage. 2 years ago a psychiatrist prescribes it to me 0.5 mg every 4-6 hours as needed. Ext release.

I haven't taken it in over a year but my anxiety is back with a viengence. I caved and took one at 10:26 this morning then another at 3:30.

I'm not sure what my question is really but, any advice is welcome.

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Momwifedaughter, I think your question may be if that dose is too high as well as is this going to put you back on the Merry-go-round of benzos. When I was on Xanax, my dose was 1/2 of 0.25mg equaling ,0125mg. I was on 1 pill daily for years. Even at that extremely low dose, I did get dependent on it. I would say to check back with your psych doctor, let him know you are starting again. He may want to go a different route. Taking it as needed is okay except with anxiety patients, we can tend to need it more and more.

I hope this answers your concerns. Take care.

• I can relate. I finally threw some away that had gotten old from not being used. But, like you, my anxiety is back full force for the first time in about 3-4 years because I just lost my VP of Engineering job at 50 years old. So I had my doctor prescribe me some more. He gave me a dozen at 0.25mg and said if I needed more that I would have to come in and see him. I try to use them sparingly - I've taken 3 over the past week or so, but I took one this morning which took the edge off. In the past I have used 0.50mg. You could break them in half and see if 0.25mg helps at all if you are concerned about the dosage. But I don't think what you were prescribed is too much. Do what feels good for you. Trial and error. We'll all get through this again, it is never permanent. I wish you peace.