Anxiety and Depression Support
23,930 members22,406 posts

How do you make friends who understand?

Hi everyone, this is my first post to the group. I am a long-time sufferer of anxiety and depression. They affect my life to the point where if it was left up to me I'd never leave my bed. I struggle every day to motivate myself, to get even the basics done during a day. Even when I do, afterward I find myself exhausted both mentally and physically. It's so difficult to make but especially keep friends when this is my life. I have no real friends because of my conditions. I miss engagements, don't answer or return phone calls, and have no desire on most days to do much of anything.

Thank god I do have my husband of 12 years, although he also suffers from anxiety and depression. He's really the only friend I have and the only person I know who truly understands. But he has the same struggles I do so I can't just unload all my problems onto him or even depend on him to be there every time I need support. To those of you who are like me, what kinds of friends do you have? How do you even begin to ask someone to understand your way of thinking and the daily struggle inside your head? I have one long time friend who has stuck by me for many years and even he doesn't understand and gets his feelings hurt if I don't respond to his calls or messages every time. When I try to explain how I feel to him he doesn't get it. To him it's simple: if I'd just answer the phone we could talk and I'd feel better. He doesn't get that most of the time I have 0 desire to interact with anyone, especially the chit chat about weather and pointless dribble that many seem to find enjoyable. At the same time I do get lonely, mainly when my husband is having a rough go of it and I start to feel alone and wish I had someone to talk to. Tell me about your friends/lack thereof. What helps you when you get lonely?

18 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi! My only friends are on here. I can relate to how you feel. Maybe just maybe if you & hubby are close, you both can share & help one another. I will force myself to do things on bad days as staying busy for me is key. Do you like jigsaw puzzles? I find doing them you can't think of anything else. Any thing really that can occupy your mind so you aren't focusing on the ugly disease. I also think happy thoughts,I reinforce those a lot. Are you able to take your mind to a happy place or time? I sure do wish you peace of mind. Love & Hugs!!!

2 likes

Like anxiety_59 my only friends who understand are on here. I do have a long term casual friend who suffers from the same issues so we do sometimes chat about it.

If you can get yourself out of the house you might find a support group locally so why not google it. x

2 likes

I dig google, hahaha, I'm known as the Google Queen! Love & Hugs your fungus!!!!!!!!

2 likes

Knickers!!! You fungus lover you :D :p xx

2 likes

Yepper doodles, hahaha!!! XXX

2 likes

Yepper doodles? Omg you are as bad as fauxartist if not worse. :D xx

2 likes

Well now I'll take that as a positive! How I love the 2 of you!!! Dump trucks of hugs just for you! Your Fungus!!! XXX

1 like

haaaa!!!!

1 like

Haahhaahahaaaahaa!!!!

1 like

I like chantrelles.... :)

1 like

I'll eat any kind, love em!!!!!! XXX

1 like

hi Kim....as you can see the two 'nutter's above, are an example of the really good people here, they are two of my very good friends here, good hearts the two of them....I'm glad your sharing about this and hope you get a chance to read some of the other posts and comments...it's an extended family....even though we are anonymous, the heart and soul of this place is rock solid. Many of us are alone with our disease as we just have a hard time in the real world, so we have made friends here, it's very healing to know your not alone and can openly and honestly talk about your stuff.... we do understand here...

1 like

Nutters? Hahahahahaha!!!!!! Listen to faux...they always nail it! Love & Hugs!!!

1 like

yeah...well I can say that because I'm the biggest nutter of all...haaaa!

1 like

I think it's me! Hahahaha!!! XXX

1 like

I just keep busy with my hobbies. Posting on here helps.

1 like

Friends? That’s a hard one, I’ve lost most of my friends due to my illness...most don’t get it or they get fed up with it so they dwindle away. The invites stop. If you can get into a support group - yes I know they are scary at first; but you’re all there for the same reason. If it’s a good group, you can connect with a few and a few is better than none.

First of all, I love your username! And second, I was reading through the replies on here so far, and it just seems like this is such a wonderful place for support! (I'm new to the site). I struggle with anxiety too, so I can completely relate. I'm blessed to have a friend who is a therapist (she's not MY therapist, haha, although I guess unofficially she probably talks to me similar to how she talks to her clients!) and actually, my closest friend struggles with anxiety too. Since there are a couple of us in my friend group who struggle, we've been able to be more open about it and be honest with the people around us when we're having a low day. It took a really long time to get to this point, but I can tell my friends "Thank you for the invite, but I'm not in a good spot with my mental health today and I need a day to stay home". Hope this helps!

You may also like...