Excitement turned to Stress and Dread - Anxiety and Depre...

Anxiety and Depression Support
43,807 members45,538 posts

Excitement turned to Stress and Dread

mary_alice
mary_alice

I was so completely excited and ready to begin my internship scouting and to reach out to agencies. Now, I am totally overwhelmed and I haven't even begun to search! My anxiety causes me to be immobile in these situations; it has happened many times before, I don't know why I thought anything different would happen. My anxiety paralyzes me, and historically I procrastinate or pull out of the situation/decision. I convince myself it's dumb and I don't care, so that if I fail or it doesn't work out I won't be effected.

This internship is important to my self-esteem and academic career. I have a month to find a place to intern at, and I'm not sure if that is enough time or not. I suppose if I am having that difficult of a time, I could visit my campus and speak to a counselor or career services rep and they could help me. I need to reach out for help more, I am just so stubborn and closed off.

Today, I will try to make a small goal of e-mailing 3 agencies. I'm not sure if I want to make phone calls yet, but e-mailing is doable and I can use the same template for all 3. Wish me luck! <3

5 Replies
oldestnewest
Hidden
Hidden

I have a few suggestions that helped me.

1. Practice what you will say on the phone before you call. Do it out loud.

2. Write a script to follow Incase you draw a blank while on the phone.

I don’t give up! The first call is always the first hurdle.

I’m currently in a similar situation. My anxiety always gets the best of me when it comes to advancing my career. E-mailing is a start. Wishing you luck.

You can do this. Ignore the catastrophizing that is going on in your brain. You have the training and experience to rock this internship.

I wish you all the luck in the world

@mary_alice we are in the exact same situation! I’m stuck even trying to reach out to a recruiter and definitely afraid they’ll call me. It’s been 9 months since I graduated from college and I feel my life is such disaster that I’m hiding from my friends. So I feel your struggle. Lately I’ve been pushing myself to take phone calls from strangers and it’s not easy. making small goals step by step that helps and also I lately found out the more you prepare the more confident you feel. I wish you luck !

You may also like...