Cycle 1 of Clinical Trials: Yesterday... - Advanced Prostate...

Advanced Prostate Cancer

17,263 members21,197 posts

Cycle 1 of Clinical Trials

Cleodman profile image
14 Replies

Yesterday was my first round of treatments for a new clinical trial that involves an infusion of a novel platinum based chemotherapy drug currently named PT-112 followed by the immunotherapy drug avelumab.

I had two IV’s placed. One was for the infusions and the other was for blood draws. I started at 0700 and ended at 1600. Zofran (ondansetron) was given 30 minutes before PT-112 then PT-112 over one hour. Serum levels of PT-112 were checked every 2 hours.

Next I was given 650 mg of acetaminophen orally and 50 mg of diphenhydramine (Benadryl) IV which I hate the way that feels. Avelumab was infused 30 minutes later over an hour.

I felt no side effects during the PT-112 infusion and a very small amount of itching during the avelumab infusion.

On a side note I decided on my own to water fast for 2.5 days before the infusions and 1 day after for a total of 85 hours.

I broke out in a fever at around 6 pm last night with body aches and just went to bed. Not feeling my best this morning but hoping that breaking my fast will help.

14 Replies
Tall_Allen profile image
Tall_Allen

Ask for Claritin instead of benadryl. Fevers are a danger sign - febrile neutropenia can be life threatening. Can you get Neulasta on your trial?

Cleodman profile image
Cleodman in reply to Tall_Allen

I asked for it but I guess will have to play the insurance game and actually show leukopenia/neutropenia before they will actually pay for it. I could not get it prophylacticly. Also there is no IV formulation for Claritin just oral and since the trial is on the clock they need a high dose of antihistamine onboard quickly before the avelumab is given. I hear you though TA!

Thank you Cleodman for doing the trial .. this could help you and many others . I’ve been on a test drug over five years now with great success. The trial failed others but I’ve done well on it . Good luck

. Speedy recovery

Cleodman profile image
Cleodman in reply to

Thanks for the support

j-o-h-n profile image
j-o-h-n in reply to Cleodman

How high was your fever? Keep up the good fight........

Good Luck, Good Health and Good Humor.

j-o-h-n Saturday 07/25/2020 12:35 PM DST

Cleodman profile image
Cleodman in reply to j-o-h-n

101.1 F

j-o-h-n profile image
j-o-h-n in reply to Cleodman

Not too high... Thank God....

j-o-h-n Saturday 07/25/2020 3:01 PM DST

Kaliber profile image
Kaliber in reply to j-o-h-n

It’s always better to be higher than your fever ....

Just say’in

j-o-h-n profile image
j-o-h-n in reply to Kaliber

and harder.............

Just say’in

j-o-h-n Saturday 07/25/2020 2:59 PM DST

Kaliber profile image

Yayahahahaya harder ? ...

Check all boxes that apply:

[]. 1. Dreamer

[]. 2. Bragger

[]. 3. Delusional

[]. 4. Shortie

[]. 5. All of the above

😂😂😂😂😂😂

j-o-h-n profile image
j-o-h-n in reply to Kaliber

[]. 6. Plastic cast mold model.

😂😂😂😂😂😂

j-o-h-n Saturday 07/25/2020 5:45 PM DST

Kaliber profile image

You have to admire the man that can stick with it when things are tough down in the trenches. 🍆🌶🥕🍌

treedown profile image
treedown in reply to

Have they been able to identify why your doing well when others are not?

in reply to treedown

I’ve done a lot of stuff beyond what the Doctors said to do . I did twice weekly 50 mgs of vitamin c iv’s for a year and a half ,plus a lot of nutrients . I dropped the S.A.D. Diet and went organic . I was told by my Drs that only 1/3 of stage 4 s go into remission . Just dumb luck I guess . It helps to have love at home ..

You may also like...