Advanced Prostate Cancer
4,294 members4,129 posts

Nice to meet you ... to meet you, nice!

Nice to meet you ... to meet you, nice!

I am a 61 year old male in generally good health and with good fitness and strength.

Last November I was diagnosed, using Transperineal biopsy, of having stage 1c, Gleason 4+5 = 9 with a PSA of 11.4. I was immediately started on Bicalutamide and Tamoxifen. A bone scan in late December shown metastization to the right pelvis.

I am being treated at St Luke's Cancer Centre and the proposed next treatment step is zoladex followed by starting chemo.

10 Replies
oldestnewest

and, yet -you can deadlift over 500 pounds?!?!

1 like

At 72 Years old and 6 months into ADT---in a declined position---I took 400 lbs---what is the big deal---if you do it for 40 or 50 years---you can maintain a lot of your strength. A year later--I was down to 315--so it does go but you fight and fight.

Nalakrats

2 likes

I suppose you're correct...

1 like

When you say "declined position", I presume to refer to bench press?

That's amazing lifting and strength retention: I find your post inspiring, Nalakrats.

2 likes

Yes. My best was 242.5kg (535lb) at my last comp last Sept. That was before the diagnosis and any treatment.

3 likes

Well it took 15 years to get there---and I am now pissed that 1/4 of it is gone---and by the next 60 days another 10% will disappear. As I am on a hopefully very long ADT vacation, the Testosterone is not coming back much. When you keep your testes from making T for 2 years, it kind of shuts down operations, of manufacture.

I am in serious conversation, about waiting 6-9 months--and if my PSA holds---my Oncologist agreed to send me to John Hopkins to get them to give me an up or down on adding T---as they are the ones involved in BAT, and now Batman, Clinical trials with T. The Batman trials are for T use in early stages of mPCa---who have not gone Castrate Resistant.

I think with the onset of Targeted Immunology Drug research, it is becoming clear, that this beast we have has more to do with your Gene Mutations, than your Testosterone levels.

Nalakrats

4 likes

I remain on ADT vacation following a 6 month eligard shot. My T came back nicely (over 400) but now it has tailed off and is well below 300. I'll be 68 in a few weeks. Just need to accept being old -- or should I ask for T supplementation? I imagine getting plenty of resistance from my urologist on that. Good to hear continued discussion of this.

2 likes

My Urologist would let me choose what I would want and what dose. My Oncologist on the other hand says he would arrange a visit for me to John Hopkins, to their Cancer Group involved in T research---and if their Doc/Docs, would OK, my Oncologist would approve.

Anyway it is too early for me to decide anything. Getting my first Post Vacation Start PSA and T bloodwork this week.

Nalakrats

1 like

What stage are you now?

I was able to put 300 pounds in my wallet when I was in England. I admit that at the time I thought it was quite sterling.

Good Luck and Good Health.

j-o-h-n Saturday 01/27/2018 2:49 PM EST

3 likes

You may also like...