ADHD Parents Together
7,500 members2,257 posts

Evaluation Day

My 14 year-old is scheduled for his evaluation next Wednesday. It is a 6-8 hour evaluation they have told me. The first hour is both of us meeting with the psychologist. After that, they told me I could leave since he will be doing his own thing. I am assuming they will give him activities to do to measure his attention span. It seems like a long time to evaluate. I am questioning the validity since he will not be in a typical school setting with peers surrounding him. We return two weeks later to hear the results. Is this how your child was diagnosed? I know my niece was prescribed medication by her GP doctor without an evaluation. Just wondering what your experience was with diagnosis? TIA

7 Replies
oldestnewest

I am also very curious about people's responses to this post, as we are scheduled for an evaluation in January (after already waiting for months - big need out there!). I am not sure I'll be confident in the results because his behavior can fluctuate so much.

2 likes

How old is your son? I guess because my son is 14, the evaluation is more extensive. We just went yesterday and he was there for about 5 hours. They did IQ testing etc. many of the tests were on the computer measuring attention and auditory vs. visual input etc. I am looking forward to the results. It helps identify their strengths and weaknesses with learning new information. He was also evaluated for depression as well.

1 like

Thank you very much for the description. He's 12.

Were you satisfied with the evaluation? We were told ours would be 3 hours long. So, I wonder if it'll be comprehensive enough; however, I really don't think I'd be able to convince my son to take part in an all-day affair!

1 like

My daughter is only 5 but they sent home 3 sets of papers with a ton of question about her behavior for me my husband and her teacher to fill out and went by the score from all of them

2 likes

My daughter was 6 and they sent questions (a large packet for each of us) for me and her 1st grade teacher. Our answers were different as night & day on most. There were a couple that crossed over to school as well. She had Kianna do a few thing and that was it. Maybe an hour and a half. Kianna was haviing a bad day an things came out, so that was nice. She tried to escape 80% of the time we sat in room.

It sounds like they are doing neuropsychiatric testing, which does take a full day for all the testing, which will also include breaks, so you might want to ask about lunch - can you leave for lunch or should you pack a lunch? They will evaluate not only his ADHD, but there will also be some IQ and personality testing.

1 like

You may also like...