Can anybody recommend brand of transdermal iron supplement please?

Hi

I have tried few different form of iron supplements including spatone. Unfortunately whatever I take causes strong GI upset. I need iron as I am quite low( my ferritin is 24ug/l, which is at the bottom of range 10-400). I am thinking about iron cream but I don't know which brand to chose? Which brand is safe? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you.

E xx

13 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I was only asking because I am very sick and I do not know where to turn.

• Edysia, I have never heard of a transdermal iron supplement. Many years ago when I was pregnant, I needed iron but couldn't take the supplements due to gastric problems. I was given regular iron injections, which worked fine for me.

Maybe someone else will know more than I do :)

• Thank you RedApple. I have to figure out how to get iron injections from doctor. I am worried because I read on NHS sites that they can have serious side effects.

Dr M does all sorts of transdermal supplements in the form of spray but I am not sure if this is the right place to get it from.

• livestrong.com/article/3968...

You could perhaps try the B12 patches and see if it helps to bring up your iron that way? You can get them on amazon.

• Hi Fennel.

Thank you for reply. I am already supplementing B12 with successful raise of the level from 175 to 451. So I do not think that B12 is the problems. I know that my poor diet contributes to low iron but unfortunately I am not able to tolerate certain foods ( including these rich in iron because of my GI problems)

Thank you for the suggestion. I might use patches in the future ( 1 less tablet to swallow).

xx

• 451 is still low, you should aim at the top of the scale, which is 900 I believe, but I am at 1,000 which is the Japanese normal !

• I am still taking it 1000mcg of B12, also b complex:)

• You can get an oral iron spray from the US. I ordered some a few weeks ago. From a company called Vitamist. They also do other oral sprays like multi-vitamins etc. i don't know why it's so hard to find alternatives to tablets, especially iron when so many people have trouble with it. Maybe cos it's mainly women who need it...

When I was having difficulty tolerating iron, I was told to eat liver 3 times a week. Jacket potatoes, apricots, lentils, red meat, cockles and almonds all have higher levels of iron too.

• neemgenie.co.uk/all-product...

You could try this, but I have to say I am in exactly the same position as you and I found this product totally ineffective at anything other than turning my bathroom orange!

I am now taking this cytoplan.co.uk/Wholefood-Ir... and will be tested in a couple of weeks. It isn't causing me any GI issues, unlike Cytoplan's other iron product, but I have previously found that anything that doesn't give me problems, doesn't work.

I have to say I have found the NHS totally unable to help with this very common issue.

AN

• Hi Edysia

Sorry that you are feeling so bad,I just thought that I would say that I'm in the same position as you! my iron is 24 with the same range,the Lab put on my test results that they suggested supplementing iron + B12 both the Endo and GP refused !! so I'm doing it myself with Solgar Gentle Iron 20mg I know that isn't that strong but I have been taking them now for two weeks and I'm managing well with them, no consipation (thank goodness!) but I did ask the GP if she would give me a blood test in 3 months time. So I hope this helps, I'm hoping that it will make me less tired and stop my legs from hurting so much!! happy days eh!! Hope you soon feel better.

Regards wakeham.

• Thank you Wakeham:) I might try Solgar, hope it wont give me GI upset. Do you have stomach problems too?

• Hi Edysia,

My problem seems to be re-flux, and constipation that is why I went for what they call easy iron.Hope you feel well soon.

Regards wakeham.

• Hi what was your iron retest value....if you dont mind me asking?

You may also like...