Thyroid UK

Latest test results

Latest test results

Following on from my last post on Wednesday I went to my surgery and requested a print out of my last blood test. I must have misheard the receptionist I spoke to on the phone as my TSH was 0.05 not 0.5.

Results were:

Serum TSH 0.05 mIU/L (0.4-5.0)

Serum free T4 17pmol/L (9-19)

I am seeing an endo in November and have made a GP appointment for the following day.

I am anticipating that the endo/GP will want me to reduce from 100mg of levothyroxine to 75mg.

I just wanted people's opinions or thoughts on these latest results and whether I should fight to stay on 100mg of levothyroxine or just accept that I go down to 75mg if that is what is suggested.

I have never had T3 tested so considering getting my T3 level tested.

Once again thank you everyone for all the advice

2 Replies
oldestnewest

Lje05 How do you feel? If you feel well then don't accept a reduction in dose. You can't be overmedicated unless your FT3 is over range, so ask them to test that to prove you're overmedicated.

In support of this - from thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_... > Treatment Options

" Dr Toft states in Pulse Magazine, "The appropriate dose of levothyroxine is that which restores euthyroidism and serum TSH to the lower part of the reference range - 0.2-0.5mU/l.

In this case, free thyroxine is likely to be in the upper part of its reference range or even slightly elevated – 18-22pmol/l. Most patients will feel well in that circumstance.

But some need a higher dose of levothyroxine to suppress serum TSH and then the serum-free T4 concentration will be elevated at around 24-28pmol/l.

This 'exogenous subclinical hyperthyroidism' is not dangerous as long as serum T3 is unequivocally normal – that is, serum total around T3 1.7nmol/l (reference range 1.0-2.2nmol/l)."

Dr Toft is past president of the British Thyroid Association and leading endocrinologist. You can obtain a copy of the article by emailing louise.roberts@thyroiduk.org to show your GP and endo.

1 like

Thank you for the advice. I don't feel overmedicted. I've only been on 100mg of levothyroxine for two months but I feel much better than I did 2mths ago. I am still experiencing the sensation of a lump & tightness & tension in my throat plus low mood but neither of the above are as frequent or severe as they were. I'm no longer experiencing all the other symptoms I had before I was on 100mg

1 like

You may also like...