Thyroxine Supply

Hi

I am new here and had a total Thyroidectomy in April of this year. Cancer was found and I am waiting to see if I need RAI.

I want to go abroad for a couple of months but am having difficulty persuading my GP to prescribe sufficient thyroxine. I am currently taking 125 mcg and feel better than I have done in years. Please could someone private message me with details of a safe and reliable source to purchase from. Many thanks.

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Welcome to the forum, Mermaid49.

Your GP can prescribe up to 3 months Levothyroxine to cover your holiday/travel. It is better to try and persuade your GP to prescribe so you can get your normal make dispensed as adverse effects can be experienced when makes are changed.

nhs.uk/chq/pages/1755.aspx?...

• Thank you I will try my GP again

• i would simply purchase NDT / thyroid-s much more compete than thyroxine and tends to be preferred by cancer or thyroidectomy patients

• Thank you for your advice. It is much appreciated.

• RFU,

Some thyroidectomised thyCa patients do fine on Levothyroxine or Levothyroxine + T3 combination and don't need to try NDT.

• i am well aware that some people do well on thyroxine and or with T3 too

but equally some people only do well on NDT ....i am sure theres also a genetic element which i sincerely wish they would bother to research

You may also like...