Thyroid results interpretation

Thyroid results interpretation

Dear friends,

I just received my test thyroid results from a private provider. I have attached these below.

I feel super tired, cold (wearing socks in today's UK heat!), can't lose weight despite healthy eating etc.

You will note my thyroid results are fine, albeit my tsh is suppressed. I do not have any hyper symptoms at all. I feel as though I couldn't even muster up the energy to run out of the house if it was on fire.

B12 is low and I now know I have hashis. Could these be making feel hypo?

Any help to understand and guidance on next steps would be gratefully received.

Kind regards

J

Skip

Featured Content

Join our community

The community helps everyone affected by thyroid conditions by providing support, information and guidance.

Follow

Featured by HealthUnlocked

19 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Jellyfish_1,

TSH is suppressed, FT4 mildly over range and FT3 less than halfway through range which indicates poor conversion. I assume you are taking Levothyroxine?

Thyroid peroxidase antibodies are positive for autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's). There is no cure for Hashimoto's which causes 90% of hypothyroidism. Treatment is for the low thyroid levels it causes. Many people have found that 100% gluten-free diet is helpful in reducing Hashi flares, symptoms and eventually antibodies.

chriskresser.com/the-gluten...

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_...

Ferritin is low in range. Ferritin is optimal halfway through range. You can raise Ferritin by supplementing iron with 1,000mg vitamin C to aid absorption and minimise constipation. Iron should be taken 4 hours away from Levothyroxine.

Folate is low in range.

B12 is deficient. Symptoms of B12 deficiency are in b12deficiency.info/signs-an... Ideally your GP will rule out pernicious anaemia causing B12 deficiency and initiate B12 injections to raise your B12 levels. healthunlocked.com/pasoc are the experts on PA and B12 deficiency so I recommend you post your B12, folate and ferritin results there for advice.

• Wow. Super helpful! you have pointed me in the direction I need to go next.

kind regards

J

• Ps, do I post on pa forum?😕

• Jellyfish_1,

They're the experts on B12 and PA so I would.

• Sorry, meant, how do I post on that forum?

• Click on this link healthunlocked.com/pasoc and Click on 'Follow' top right hand of page. The click on Write a Post.

• Thanks!

• Thanks, I got some helpful info from pa!

• Have you had your vitamin D levels tested?

• Hello,

Yes I did, late last year. Was a little vit d deficient and prescribed vit d, which I took. Thanks

• As you have Hashimoto's you may need to supplement continually to maintain a good level.

Looking to keep it up above 70nmol/L and ideally around 100 or just over.

We tend to need or use more than normal folks.

• The low ferritin and low B12 will be causing a lot of your symptoms.

Hopefully some will start to ease as you get these levels higher

• Suggest you also test vitamin D. If GP won't do it (budget cuts) then can get fingerprick postal test £28 from vitamindtest.org.uk

• Ok thanks so much.

• And as you have Hashimoto's you seriously need to consider trying a gluten free diet for at least 3-6 months.

I was extremely dubious about all this talk of gluten, I had zero gut symptoms. But going gluten free has been a revelation. Seems to be affective for majority with Hashimoto's, but not everyone.

See The Thyroid Pharmacist website for masses of Hashimoto's info

• Thanks for your time. I will surly look into this.

• So, yesterday I went to a dr about my leg pain. Turns out I have shingles. I was prescribed some good meds and feeling a little better already.

He acknowledged that b12 is quite low. Will be getting re tested on Tuesday and likely be starting a course of injections.

I'm learning about going gluten free as advised. Sitting in bed watching Amy myers.

Thanks all

• Glad to hear that leg pain is being dealt with.

After Amy Myers, you can move on to The Thyroid Secret - excellent series by Isabella Wentz - the Thyroid Pharmacist (on you tube)

Don't forget to get your vitamin D retested. Also magnesium supplements can help when taking vitamin D as a co-factor. Magnesium also very good for constipation. But beware if you take too much, especially to begin with you might get opposite problem.

I think both Amy Myers and Isabella talk about magnesium

thyroidpharmacist.com/artic...

Magnesium is calming and relaxing so best taken pm or just before bed. But that depends when you take Levo, as magnesium must be at least four hours away. I take Levo at bedtime, as I find it more effective, so take magnesium late afternoon

• Thanks so much. Really do appreciate time taken to reply. I'm for sure going to follow up on your guidance. Thanks again

You may also like...