Thyroid UK
84,104 members99,086 posts

Please advise

These are my recent thyroid function test results (I am currently taking 75 micro grams of Levothyroxine):

Serum TSH level 1.39 mu/L [0.27 - 4.2]

Serum free T4 level 17.6 pmol/L [11.0 - 22.0]

They came back as normal but are they ok to those with a knowledge eye?

I also had a full blood count done too as I've been anaemic in the past. One of the values was low:

Mean cell haemoglobin level 26.4 pg [27.0 - 32.0]- Below low reference limit

I am a bit worried as having been feeling spaced out and tired recently which isn't good as I have exams to sit in a few weeks! Can anyone offer their opinion on these results please?

5 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi, Bigbex. Your TSH and T4 look OK. But what is really needed is your Free T3 results and ranges. That's the crucial number. You might need a small increase, however, it's impossible to say without T3. If your GP won't test, you can get a private one done at Medichecks or Blue Horizon. Details on this site. As far as your iron levels are concerned, this may account for you feeling spaced-out. (Or it may not). Have you been given a protocol for getting your levels up?

Thanks for replying Steviecat. No, the test results stated satisfactory- no further action. I think as all the other components tested were within reference ranges? I also get extremely heavy periods which I don't think help much with my iron levels.

Thanks for the info on the free T3 tests. I will look into those. I'm still trying to get my head around the thyroid issue. I have Hashimotos and luckily I knew the symptoms to look out for as it runs on my paternal side of the family. So it was caught while still borderline.

1 like

Me, too with Hashimoto's. Yep, get the Free T3 number - it really is the one to go by. And you should do something about your iron. Best. S.

1 like

Thanks for the advice. I will look into starting the ferrous sulphate again :)

How do you feel? If symptomatic you may need a bit more levo as your t4 is only just over halfway through the range. If you get your iron in order (and ideally folate, b12 and d as well) you may find you feel a bit better.

1 like

You may also like...