Lab Results on 2 grains NDT - Switching to T3 Only

Hello,

I have written a few posts about feeling awful on NDT (went as high as 3 grains) and wanting to switch to T3 only with as much advise as I can get. I was advised to post my labs in a separate post, I have them listed below. I have started on 30mcg of Cytomel. I do not feel any better as of yet but I do have this relieving feeling once I stopped the WP Thyroid, I do not feel as though I may die at any second. I am sure I need to increase the T3 but am not sure what are the best times to dose and how much at each dose. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Lab Results on 2 grains of WP Thyroid

TSH : .01L (out of range) Ref Range: .40-4.50

T4 Total: 4.22L (out of range) Ref Range: 4.5-12.0 mcg/dL

T4 Free: .9 (in range) Ref Range: .8-1.8 ng/dL

T3 Free: 2.4 (in range) Ref Range: 2.3-4.2 pg/mL

T3 Total: 71L (out of range) Ref Range: 76-181 ng/dL

T3 Reverse: 8 (in range) Ref Range: 8-28 ng/dL

Thyroid Antibodies <1

Peroxidase Antibodies 1

16 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Some people don't feel well when T4 is in the mix. You have started on 30mcg of Cytomel and should increase by 1/4 about every 2 weeks and so on until you feel an improvement. Take pulse/temp regularly and if either goes too high, reduce to previous dose. I shall give you a link which may be helpful:-

web.archive.org/web/2010112...

• Thank you this article seems to have a lot of good information. I saw it stated that the T3 should be taken in a single dose. That is kinda of what I am confused about, the dosing in general of the medication. I am not sure when to take it and if I should split the dose or not.

• I take T3 only when I get up with a glass of water and I am well now with no clinical symptoms.

Dr Lowe, who wrote the article, would never prescribe levo - only NDT or T3 for resistant patients.

He, himself, took 150mcg of T3 in the middle of the night and he could function normally, write books, do research etc etc.

I have a life. I forget I have hypothyroidism. I know there is a bit of 'fashion' about splitting doses but why waste time unnecessarily.

Also, when you are increasing doses, your body lets you know whether you've taken a 'bit too much' so you drop back to the previous dose next day and you may well have reached your optimum dose.

All of his patients took one daily dose, whether NDT or T3.

If people split doses, the stomach has to be completely empty. You've got to have alarms set etc etc carry tablets about. It's such a waste of our time, energy.

People also make a mistake by saying that 'T3 goes quickly'. It is true, it is absorbed quickly but it's job is to get into our T3 receptor cells and then that one dose lasts for between one to 3 days .

Dr L was also director of the Fibromaylgia Research Foundation, Dr John Lowe and Thyroidscience and an Adviser to Thyroiduk.org.uk. He also relinquished his Licence so that he couldn't be pursued like our UK, Dr Peatfield and Dr Skinner who were, due to them practicisng how they were trained as medical students.

• Thank you, for me I do see how splitting the dose could be an issue. I have verrryyy bad digestion and I doubt my stomach is ever actually "empty" during the day. I will try tomorrow to take it all in the morning. I just want to be normal again.

• What dose are you starting on? As it is best to start on an equivalent dose or slighter lower than your NDT.

• I have been on 30mcg, I take 20mcg in the morning and 10 later in the afternoon, around 5ish, it has been 5 days (was on 2 grains NDT). So far it feels good to not be adding any more T4, I can tell something is a little different in a good way. But my constipation has worsened and there is no real signs of improvement, though I know it is early. I feel I may be able to increase my dose quite a bit more, when it is time. I have ABSOLUTELY no signs of too much medication, I really can not even tell I have taken anything.

• Re your stomach problem, which is very common in hypothyroidism as our system is 'slowed' due to hypo and when we eat we most probably don't have enough stomach acid to dissolve food in general and protein in particular. So we supplement with either Digestive Enzymes or a good Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with water or juice to provide acid with meals.

My dose of 50mcg T3 is once daily but members may need different doses.

• Do you follow any specific diet? I do not seem to digest any foods very well and am always bloated. I avoid dairy, gluten, and animal proteins in large amounts. I do not eat many raw veggies and try to keep fruit sugar low, I avoid all other types of sugar. I am hoping some of the food sensitivities that I have go away to some degree as I get better from the T3.

• Due to hypo our system slows right down and we usually don't have sufficient stomach acid to dissolve food, so most of us take either Digestive Enzymes or a good Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with water or juice during meals.

scdlifestyle.com/2012/06/hy...

• Thank you! I have dabbled with the SCD diet before, I think I may have even more success with it while on T3 treatment. On NDT and SCD I had the most insane food cravings. I would be strict for a while then would eat like a half a jar of coconut oil for some reason.

• To eat half a jar of coconut oil you must have been desperate.

• Yes, I have no clue what is wrong with me. In the last 5 months of doing very poorly on NDT, I developed these binge eating tendencies. I east a pretty strict diet so I would binge of the foods I allow myself, almondbutter, coconut butter/oil, sprouted nuts/seeds. All high fat calorie dense foods. Its like I am always tired and I feel like my body thinks food is the answer for energy, then I overeat and become more tired, and gain more weight. Its a horrible cycle but my body/mind is desperate to feel something.

• Have you got the latest results of your blood tests, with the ranges you can post.

Reasonable answers need blood test results.

• Lab Results on 2 grains of WP Thyroid

TSH : .01L (out of range) Ref Range: .40-4.50

T4 Total: 4.22L (out of range) Ref Range: 4.5-12.0 mcg/dL

T4 Free: .9 (in range) Ref Range: .8-1.8 ng/dL

T3 Free: 2.4 (in range) Ref Range: 2.3-4.2 pg/mL

T3 Total: 71L (out of range) Ref Range: 76-181 ng/dL

T3 Reverse: 8 (in range) Ref Range: 8-28 ng/dL

Thyroid Antibodies <1

Peroxidase Antibodies 1

• I have only been on T3 only for less than a week. My doctor decided to go the T3 only route based on these blood tests.

You may also like...