Im new here, and encouraged by the thoughtful responses in other posts. I hope to get some advise as well.
I was disagnosed with hypothyroid as a baby. Im now 35. I typically try to do as much stuff naturally as I can. After my last baby two years ago, I decided to get off my medication and just use supplements which were know to assist thyroid function...selenium, iodine, zinc...just naming a few....there are lots more, I know (trust me, I was taking supplements by the handfuls...I thought it would help since at one point I was able to bring my levels from a 50 to a 28 doing this same thing -- but I realise, that is just going from worse to bad and my levels still need much improvement).
Anyway, I recently found out I am pregnant with our 4th child. Immediately I wanted to know my thyroid levels because it had been a few years. To my shock, my tsh revealed levels at 159 (yes, one hundred fifty nine).
I immediately got back on my medication. I have used levothyroxin and synthroid ...but what my body responded best to was armour thyroid. I spent years on the synthetic crap and once I went to armour thyroid my numbers dialed within range in a matter of months. I am well aware of the reasons why docs dont like armour (being natural its harder to determine exact levels of thyroid with each dose, whereas synthetics are easier to monitor). Either way, doc was okay with me getting on 60 mcgs a day of armour.
This is frustrating though because I was once on 120 mcgs but that was when my tsh levels were in the 50s. But now (since I havent been medicated for 2 years) my levels are at 159 and they are only giving me half the dose .....30mcgs. OB says she is fine with increasing it before next lab...but family doc says she wants to ease into it since it has been a while...she doesnt want my heart to race. So I understand.
Anyway, I got to talking to my OB some more about it all and she says she is not too worried because my free T4 levels were within range at .6. Im not sure if she was just trying to ease my mind or if there is truth to it. She explained it by saying the tsh is showing me that my pituitary gland is working overtime for production.....but the free T4 is showing that hormone/thyroid levels are being achieved for baby and myself.
I have since started a gluten free diet and I am avoiding foods that are known to slow down the thyroid (sweet potatoes, brussel sproats, brocolli, etc)....all of which I was previously eatting lots of, thinking my diet was excellent. I am feeling slightly better....but still very tired and extremely hungry and thristy. I have an appt scheduled with an endocronologist but they cant get me in until 4 months from now.
My questions are....
1. Is the ob right to think the free t4 is the test to look at more when pregnant?
2. Should I insist my dosage gets increased instead of waiting another 2 weeks to get a lab test done? Baby is growing daily!
3.Is there anything else more I can do...in another post I saw something about taking t3 or getting t3 tested but I am not knowledgable in that area.
4. Should I try to find a diff endocronologist who can get me in sooner?
Please be sensitive/kind in your responses....being pregnant, I never would have wanted my health in this state for baby.....it happened without planning. I am doing everything I can to ensure my body is now being taken care of and praying over that child daily. Thank you!