Newby: Private test - worth it and which one?

After years of battling with GPs and having all the usual symptoms and family history, I'm very tempted to get a private test done so I know T3 and T4 are being done as opposed to the usual 'It's normal' that I get from the TSH (5.12 last time).

I'm looking at the ones on MediChecks - either the £39 Thyroid Monitoring one (TSH, free T3, free T4) or the £59 Thyroid Check Plus (as above plus T4, TGAb and TPOAb).

Any advice please, is it worth the extra for more details?

4 Replies

• Aohara,

It's worth getting the £59 test to check antibodies. After that you only need TSH, FT4 and FT3.

• I think you should get some basic nutrients done too because people with thyroid issues usually end up with low nutrients.

In your shoes I'd go for this one :

• Thanks for replying. I've just had a range of blood tests done, slightly anaemic and iron low so have been prescribed iron tablets (just a few days ago). He said others (Vit D?) were ok but I didn't get figures on those. I donate blood fairly regularly though, and pass the iron test which they say is set quite high. Last time only just passed it so the iron seems to be a recent thing, whereas the complete exhaustion, mind fog, forgetting words and names etc has been going on for a long time so I don't think that's the only culprit.

I'll try to get a copy of the full set of results to help decide if the nutrients are worthwhile.

• You really need Vit D , B12, folate and ferritin checked. As well as TSH, Ft3, Ft4 plus BOTH TPO and TG antibodies

Blue horizon do that lot for £99 - called thyroid plus eleven test

You may also like...