Above range T3 but TSH not suppressed - what do do

My consultant endo after my first visit with him, has increased my T3 by double.

I am only on T3 and the FT3 results were 8.9 with the upper range meant to be 6.5.

However my TSH was 3.5 and T4 very suppressed obviously because Im on T3 only.

I trusted that he knows what he's doing but Im also a little nervous.

Why do you think he increased the T3 by double from 20 to 40mcg when the T3 is already above range? Is there a school of thought about more T3 lowering the TSH? I definitely did not feel optimally well and enjoying the effects of increasing the dosage.

I see him again in a couple of months.

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I wonder if it could be "Impaired Sensitivity to Thyroid Hormone (Thyroid Hormone Resistance)'?

Sandy12 has written a book about this and it may be helpful to you....

• With Thyroid Hormone Resistance the body needs very high levels of T3, often above the normal range.

Your TSH of 3.5 is an indication that your body wants an even higher level of T3.

If you have this condition 40 mcg of T3 is a low dose. Dr John Lowe found that T3 dosages ranged from 50 mcg to 500 mcg although most require dosages between 100 and 150 mcg.

• So even though the T3 range is above range ( a while ago it was 22 which scared the living daylights out of me but as I was self medicating I didn't know what to do other than reduce my dose) it is okay so long as Im not displaying thyroid storm or hyperthyroidism symptoms?

• I will send you a personal message with more info on this.

You may also like...