Blood results

I am hypo, and had bloods done for thyroid, B12, folate, iron and ferritin.

The B12 result was 555 (191-663)

Folate 6.1 (4.6-18.7)

Ferritin 164 (13-148)

Although, the ferritin is high, I think that the B12 could be better and that the folate is low. I am seeing my GP next week and not sure if she will prescribe me some folate. If not, does anyone know which is good to take. I have never taken folate before.

13 Replies

• GP won't prescribe folate as you are within range.

I tend to take Solgar supplements if I'm not sure. They sell a folate supplement which is methlyfolate.

• Thanks for your reply, I will try that. Sorry for late reply. I live 7 miles from a library and no internet at home and cant get mobile broadband where I live :-(

• You could supplement with B12 to get your level up to 900-1000, Jarrows or Solgar sublingual methylcobalamin lozenges are highly recommended on here. Then to balance your B vits take Thorne Basic B which contains 400mcg folate.

• Have you had vitamin d checked?

Do you have Hashimoto's?

• Sorry for the late reply, I have no internet at home and live 7 miles from a library grr. Yes, I am on calceos and have been on them for 4 years and even with that my vit D is still low

• What strength e.g. IU of vitamin D does your supplements have in them?

They may not be enough. I was told to take 1,000-2,000 IU per day by NHS nurse when someone kindly worked out I should be on 6,000IU.

• They have 400 IU of vitamin D, and I take 2 daily so am getting 800 IU of vitamin D daily. Maybe it's not enough.

• You need to get tested again to see if it's high enough.

If you have been tested in the last 2 years the NHS won't retest you so you would have to get a private test. If your last test was over 2 years ago go back to your GP, ask for a test and tell him/her what your symptoms are e.g. tiredness, pain in joints.

If you go for a private test through City Assays for £28 but don't have one until October.

• Thanks for that. I was last tested a few weeks ago and it was still low on the dosage that I am on. I sleep 14 hours a day and do get pain in legs (calves) and also my arms (top of arms). Its like a toothached type of pain. Last night I couldnt sleep without painkillers. I will book private test in Oct

• Its meant to say toothache, excuse my spelling lol, its down to typing fast.

• If you post your test results and the range in a new thread then posters on here will advise you on the dosage to get your level up.

You want your vitamin D levels around 100nmol/L. So if your level is no where near that you need to take more vitamin D.

You won't then need to take another test then until 2017.

• I will do that, thanks :-). I am in the library at the moment and dont have the results with me. They are at home and unfortunately the library closes 12.30 and I live 7 miles away grr. I will post them on Mon evening as I'm away and will have internet access yay, and shee what others come back with x

• If you have a landline at home it's worth seeing who is the cheapest provider of broadband and a landline in your area so you can have it at home.

You may also like...