Advise with T3 please

I'm a 24 spanish boy. When I was 12 I put on weight so I did a blood test and the doc said I was hypo (don't know if hashimoto, i guess so...). I took iodine but didn't work. They gave me levo 75 and I've been taking that for the last 11 years. I've had no symptons all this time. But my knees hurt a lot last six years. I was sure it was because of the levo. So I stopped taking it and my knees stopped hurting for the first time in 6 years!!

But after 5 months without levo I started having palpitations. I did a blood test and my TSH was high (10). Doc said I should take levo again, but I didn't want becuse it'd hurt my knees again. So I took Naturethroid 1 grain. After one month taking it, my palps were better but my knees hurt again. I reduced the dose to 1/2 grain and been one month like this, but my knees still hurt. I think that T4  hurts my knees somehow so I will give a chance to T3 only.

How much should I take? 25mcg everyday is ok? should I split the dose? What brand could I take? cytomel is so expensive :(

Thanks for your help :)

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Nobody can tell you how much T3 to take, there isn't much to go on. 

To give members the best chance of offering any suggestions can you get blood tests done for TSH, FT4, FT3, TPO and TG antibodies, and put the results (with reference ranges) in a new post.

It would also be a good idea to test for Vitamin D, B12, Ferritin and Folate.

• Rule of thumb is that T3 has a tripled potency compared to Levo. Preferably have a slow start with a quite small daily dose divided in three (European recommendation) or four (as my two friends) parts. T3-monotherapy on the long run typically ends up to 40 or 60 mcg, but do "listen to your body". Temperature at wake-up and during the day. Pulse. Blood pressure. And bloods every now and then. T3free is very important not to rise above range.

As SeasideSusie told several other tests are useful, actually found also here in the "Nutrition" part: drive.google.com/file/d/0B9...

• Welcome to the forum, Iosu.

25mcg T3 is equivalent to 75mcg Levothyroxine or 1 grain NDT.  Tiromel (Turkish T3) and Uni-Pharma (Greek T3) are more affordable than Cytomel.

• I use Uni Pharma T3 now, sent you PM.

• Thanks for your help!

I think I will try Uni Pharma T3 25mcg. Should I split the dose or take it all in the morning one hour before breakfast?

Thanks again. My doctor doesn't help at all ;(

You may also like...