Help with my results please!!

Hi All, 

You may recall my quandary a little while ago about not responding to my new T3/T4 combo and my unsuccessful battle with my GP to have T3 prescribed on the NHS. I was just wondering if you experienced people could cast your eye over my latest blood results as apart from the TSH, there hasn't been much change.... 

April 2016 - (taking 100 thyroxine and 20mcg T3)

Free T4 -  10.7pmol/L.   (11 - 26.0)

TSH   -  0.64        (0.35 - 4.5)

Free T3. -  3.7      (3.1 - 6.8)

My previous results were as follows

February 2016 - (taking 100 thyroxine and 20mcg T3)

TSH - 6.4

T4 - 10.1

T3 - 3.2

December 2015 - pre T3 (was taking 125 thyroxine):-

TSH - 0.47

T4 - 19

T3 - 4.1

Any thoughts, opinions or advice you can give me would be hugely appreciated. 

C xxxx

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Clarycat,

FT4 is below range.  I think you need Levothyroxine dose increased to raise FT4 which will improve T4 to T3 conversion and raise FT3.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• Thank you so much for your reply. If I increase my thyroxine, do I risk lowering my TSH further and becoming hyper? 

• Clarycat,

Increasing your Levothyroxine will lower TSH but that doesn't make you hyper.  Hyper is when FT4 and/or FT3 are over range.

My TSH is 0.01 but my FT4 and FT3 are well within range so I am not hyper or over medicated.

_______________________________________________________________________________

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• Ah, thank you for clarifying that for me. I am still learning even after many years of hypothyroidism!! :-) 

• FT3 and FT4 are both low.  FT3 needs to be at least mid-range.   FT4 needs to be in-range.   Don't worry about TSH too much, it isn't a good way to gauge your status, I imagine you can get those FTs up without TSH diving below 0.1, which is fine.  If I were in your position, I would hike T4 just a bit (100 to 112) and T3 one-fourth (20 to 25), which will give you a T3:T4 ratio of almost 1:4, same as NDT.

• Thank you so much for your valuable advice. My Ft's just don't seem to be playing ball lately unfortunately, I will give meds a tweak and hopefully that will do the trick. Thanks again.

• As an extra piece of advice, could I ask what supplements you recommend to help thyroid function. I already take vitamin d twice a week (20000 iu) as I was deficient, it is now within normal range. Any extra advice would be gratefully received. C xxx

You may also like...