What the heck do these iron blood test results mean?

Hi, everyone. I have got the results of the full iron screen and don't have a clue - can anyone help, please? They are:-

Serum ferritin – (LP59) – normal, no action……….....111ug/L……......10 – 290 ug/L

Ca 125 – (LP59) - normal, no action……..…....16iu/mL…….......0 – 35.00 iu/mL

Iron profile – (AND59) normal, no action

Serum iron level ……………………………………......12.2 umol/L….....8.00 – 32.00 umol/L

Saturation iron binding capacity……………………….59.2 umol/L

Unsat iron binding capacity…………………………….47 umol/L

Transferrin saturation index ………………………..…..21%...................15.00 – 50.00%

I'm going to post the thyroid bloods separately since I am not functioning too well at the mo and my brain can't take in too much info.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Thyroid make sure you have had tSH, T4 and Free T3 tested for the correct treatment.You may need Levo ( T4) and T3. On treatment T4 should normally be top 2 thirds and FT3 near the top of range.If TSH very low, GP may not give you T3 but an Endo often does.Your iron/ferritin is on the low side, I think, google bloods, you will, if I am correct only get a script below the magic 10 , yours at 12 is .low., I am not familiar with the others but think they might be iron in the cells which is different. and a better test. You would benefit from some Spatone, liquid, liked most Endo`s as less side effects, Amazon cheapest.,Have you had B12 + Foliates, vit D ( hormonal) and diabetes checked, both hormonal and autoimmune If D low corrected calcium before treatment, must not be over range.If still feeling ill with thyroid, that or surrounding issues must be wrong just a case of finding what treatment you need.

Best wishes,

Jackie

• Hi, Jackie - thanks for this. I should have posted the bloods results for the thyroid (now posted below) but I was trying to separate the iron form the thyroid results because I'm not thinking too well at the moment. My endo prescribes NDT, 2 grains, this after adding T3 to the Levo with initial success but followed by a relapse. So I take 2 grains of NDT - 5am and 11am, and 10-12mcg of T3 at around 5pm. Still very weak so might try adding a little iron because it looked a little low to me.

! Serum free T3 level – borderline overtreated…………….5.6pmol/L……2.5 – 5.50pmol/L

Serum free T4 – normal – no action………………………..12.6pmol/L….10.00 – 18.70pmol/L

! Serum TSH level ……………………………………….<0.05miu/L….0.30 – 5.00miu/L

– t3 still a little high but better – has apt with consultant

Cheers,

Steph

• Stop The Thyroid Madness has some good info on iron: stopthethyroidmadness.com/f... They say that the most important thing is your Transferrin saturation, which should be at least 25%, but apparently it needs to be 35% to 40% for you to use thyroid hormone properly (something like that - I don't understand it!). I take iron bisglycinate because it doesn't cause any nasty constipation problems.

• Hi, Zabby - that's a useful link, thank you. I might be really stoopid, but I can't quite spot the bit that says that the transferrin saturation ought to be 35-40%? Sorry to myther! Was it your doctor who prescribed your supplement? Or did you decide yourself? And if the latter, where do you purchase it? and lastly, did it make a difference to you?

Sorry for all the knock-on questions!

Steph

You may also like...