problems after 4 weeks quit

29 days quit from a 2 pack a day habit. Been smoking 48 years. Still having hoarseness no cough yet. The last 2 days have been really hard. A couple of people have told me that they went thru a bad time after about a month out. Has anyone had these problems. I am on the patch 21 mg. I am not worried I will start smoking again, it just seems harder now than at the start. Also how long for the hoarseness Saw my GP after about 2 weeks. He couldn't see anything but said I may need to go to a throat MD to look at the vocal cords. Any one else have this?

10 Replies

oldest โ€ข newest
  • Hi pstevens what you are experiencing is very common, I got a sore throat about 4 weeks and use antibacterial lozenges which soothed it. I haven't had a cough at all after 18 month quit so don't be too concerned about that. My throat took a a good month to come right. If you are concerned don't hesitate to go back to your gp.

Try and be patient, it does get better ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

• Hi well done in quitting COPD I think usually comes with a cough. I stopped July 2014 after many attempts. I was diagnosed with COPD in 2006 smoked 20 a day. My breathing did get worse when I stopped but that just gunk coming out of your lungs. I used the e cig hope you feel better soon take care xx

• Hi pstevens firstly great quit, 29 days is fantastic ๐Ÿ˜Š

We are all different so no two quits are the same. Like glolin I never had a cough. I did give up with patches though๐Ÿ˜Š

If you look at the pinned posts there's a post re side effects that's may help you ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

• Hiya pstevens, please don't worry as your throat is regenerating and you're getting tender new tissue. This can cause hoarseness and I remember one of our lovely members was able to sing again after suffering with this. Now it took a while but she was so happy. Lots of hot drinks and honey to lubricate and suck some lozengers too. If you're still worried about it, then perhaps a second opinion to put your mind at rest. Maybe a gargle with salt water will help things improve as salt is very healing. You're doing great, well done on 29 days๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Hi there,

Congradulations on this big big achievement!!

It is very common to have strong symptoms few weeks after quitting. I remember experiencing sharp pain in the chess for a period of 24 hours.

Your lungs are clearing out and in this process you might feel some discomfort. After this process you will feel so much better.

Best of luck

• Hi, I remember all too well just how hard it is after smoking for such a long time. You must be very proud of yourself and try to cope with the side effects. You really do deserve all the support available and I applaud you - you are very brave.

All the best

Ngaire xx

• if all you got is a hoarse throat Ill trade you cause I smoked 40 years a pack a day been smoke free over a month and now I have constant headaches, anxiety up my ying yang, salivating like a hungry dog and sweats. any idea how long this might last cause Im ready to smoke again

• Debbie have a look at the pinned posts... there's a poll on there about all the side effects from nicotine withdrawal.... it's quite interesting reading but hopefully you won't get all of them .. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜Š

Everyone on here has been where you are hun and you are doing so well ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

Keep up the good work hun ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

• finally found someone who smoked as long as me. I quit cold turkey its been 2 months and im still having symptoms, headache,salivating, sweats, cant sleep and anxiety. no hoarseness. im feeling like it didnt hurt like this smoking

• Just posted a question which poses a fairly similar concern.

It's been 6 weeks for me cigarette free but I have daily tiredness, much mucous production, albeit clear and "healthy" seeming, sneezing, very minimal coughing (if any), and a mild, and I mean a very mild, feeling of a tickle in my throat.

Still, overall, I somehow feel sicker than when I was smoking!

I try to remind myself that this is all part of the process and the NRT helps greatly in the form of a patch. Still, I realize that I will have to let that go too in the next several months.....

You may also like...